How would you feel if I tore it all down?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
49,253
Reaction score
98,071
Seller Rating
4 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I’m whining but I sure do need some encouragement!

How would you as members here feel if I tore down my 400g basement tank? I’m seriously close. Lol!

Dinos have pushed me to the edge of jumping. Yes it’s confirmed Dinos, I’ve added UV, conducted a blackout, driven my nitrates and phosphates up, dosed peroxide, added miracle mud and still losing for almost 10 months now and losing bad! Not a little bit of dino but a ton!

All the corals have been in a frag tank that’s plumbed to the main system and they are growing very well. Just can’t put anything in tbe main tank.

I am seriously considering tearing it all down and I know that’s not the right attitude but I’m tired of throwing money and time at a box of uncurabke algae. Very bad for a saltwater aquarium site to say that but I just need to be real.

:(
 
In 15 years of reefing I have never faced anything like this.
 
Yes I’m whining but I sure do need some encouragement!

How would you as members here feel if I tore down my 400g basement tank? I’m seriously close. Lol!

Dinos have pushed me to the edge of jumping. Yes it’s confirmed Dinos, I’ve added UV, conducted a blackout, driven my nitrates and phosphates up, dosed peroxide, added miracle mud and still losing for almost 10 months now and losing bad! Not a little bit of dino but a ton!

All the corals have been in a frag tank that’s plumbed to the main system and they are growing very well. Just can’t put anything in tbe main tank.

I am seriously considering tearing it all down and I know that’s not the right attitude but I’m tired of throwing money and time at a box of uncurabke algae. Very bad for a saltwater aquarium site to say that but I just need to be real.

:(
Use greenex! Half dose it don't use it the way it says in the bottle use it for a week it'll disappears completely do a massive water change at the end should be good
 
Have you tried metroplex? One scoop per 10g? I did 3 doses which killed it way back and a few months later dosed another round of 3 doses and I haven’t seen it since. Vibrant also helped but I think it cleared the water more than killed the Dino’s.
 
I’m right there with you though. It’s a nightmare and definitely a cause for frustration to shut it all down.
 
SO sorry to hear of all your troubles. It's a horrible scenario to be in, I'm sure. :-(

Every member on this site that has (or had) a tank up and running has had thoughts of tearing down their tank at some point - it's just part of the hobby. Some have followed through, some have stuck it out. Neither is a bad decision, so long as it's made with a clear and level head so that there are no regrets. I can't give you advise on what to do, but I can tell you that I would expect nothing but support and commiseration from every member of this site. That's how we roll - because that's what you've taught us to do.
 
When I had Dino’s, I upped my pod population. That helped me cure it. How’s your pod population?

Have u tried feeding phyto?
 
have you ever thought you might be trying too hard to get rid of them and actually compounding the problem?

Yes but early and lately I haven’t done much of anything.

Use greenex! Half dose it don't use it the way it says in the bottle use it for a week it'll disappears completely do a massive water change at the end should be good

Never heard of it. More info?

Have you tried metroplex? One scoop per 10g? I did 3 doses which killed it way back and a few months later dosed another round of 3 doses and I haven’t seen it since. Vibrant also helped but I think it cleared the water more than killed the Dino’s.

No I have not.
 
That's odd that the frag tank is plumbed to the main display, yet is dino free... don't give up. There's a light at the end of that tunnel, you just have to know how to look for it.

It has hair algae. But funny thing when I blacked out the display I didn’t Black it out, forgot, and the Dinos accumulated in the frag tank and the display was almost dino free!
 
Yes but early and lately I haven’t done much of anything.

take the display off of the system the frags are on, and turn off the lights on it and let the skimmer run like a banshee while running the dino out of food... after it dies off, do a water change and wait while letting the skimmer run.... that won't cast you anything except water and salt.... you already got the time if you have been doing it 10 months.....


you can beat this
 
It has hair algae. But funny thing when I blacked out the display I didn’t Black it out, forgot, and the Dinos accumulated in the frag tank and the display was almost dino free!
That sounds reasonable. Being photosynthetic they would move to the lit portion of the system.
 
Might get som flack for this, but you could try Bleach dosing. I had a bacteria in my sump the last 4 months that I could not get rid of, tried everything. IT would build so fast that within 5 days I had to tear down my sump, skimmer, return pump and all plumbing and clean or flow would slow down so far my overflow would serge badly and skimmer would simply stop skimning. 2 weeks of bleach dosing 1ml per 25gal when lights go out and when they come back on, and it's completely gone no trace. SOunds nuts but it worked and all my SPS (80% SPS in my tank) are perfect, infact I have never seen them have so much polyp extension.
 
It has hair algae. But funny thing when I blacked out the display I didn’t Black it out, forgot, and the Dinos accumulated in the frag tank and the display was almost dino free!

sounds like your main tank was a fuge for your frag tank
 
I vote to bleach the system and start over, but I have never won a dino battle.
 
Took me 8-9 months. I introduced cynao on purpose, let it go unchecked for about a month. Dinos died off, treated cynao with chemiclean. Been about a month now and no dinos.
 
Took me 8-9 months. I introduced cynao on purpose, let it go unchecked for about a month. Dinos died off, treated cynao with chemiclean. Been about a month now and no dinos.

Nice tactic. Use something that is easier to get rid of to outcompete the Dino
 
I'm not a big believer of tearing a tank down and starting anew (re-enforced by my recent experience with benthic diatoms.) Perhaps add algae to out-compete? Allelopathy is underestimated!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top