How'd often do you clean algae of your glass?

I run a pretty low nutrient system. When I can see algae, I clean it. Happens about every other to every third day.
 
2-3 times per week and I'm a freak about a clean glass. If our phosphates get to .1 or so, it's daily. At .03, every 2-3 days keeps it pristine.
 
My tank is acrylic .... I clean it weekly. One of the biggest issues I see is that people over light their tanks and spend $$ illuminating and then cleaning the front pane. I setup the lighting on my tank to not shine on the very front area of the tank, plus I have blanking panels on the top of my tank that completely shade the front - thus I get minimal algae growth there.

IMG_0789.JPG

How often does your back glass look like it’s needs clean if your pointing that light that way?
 
Use to be every day, but since I started using Vibrant, it's every 3 days and not as much build up.
 
I clean mine about twice a month, I also am one that deflected most of my light away from the front top half of my tank. It’s always crystal clear. I’m always at my tank and if I do see something I just run the magnet across it and it’s gone but I can’t remember the last time I had to actually scrape or scrub hard on anything. Usually less than 2mins with the magnet float.
Happy reefing.
 
Anytime I see algae or if I get water on the outside glass I’ll clean it up
 
How often does your back glass look like it’s needs clean if your pointing that light that way?

Well, tank's acrylic, not glass; and the back panel is black .... so who really cares LOL. Plus the lights don't shine on the back anymore than in any other tank I've ever had. It's good grazing for the tangs.
 
Every 6-7 days, really no buildup on my glass before that point.
 
Front gets scrapped every Saturday minimum, more if algae growth demands it. My rule is I have to be able to see everything in the tank, if not it gets cleaned. Sides get scrapped weekly minimum, sometimes two if low growth. The back I leave uncleaned(no schedule) unless I see large buildup. I do this to ensure the snails have a food source, and because ,my back is black and hard to see buildup unless at an angle, and Algae is not a bad thing to have, just have to keep it under control.
 
Every couple of days for the front and sides. The back doesn't get touched because I like to have something for the algae eaters in the tank.
 
Mostly I try to do it daily, all three sides. It's not necessarily because it needs it, but it's easier than letting it build up so it only takes a couple minutes.
 
My tank is doing well, but I keep getting algae on my glass. I clean it just about daily, is that normal?

A little organic carbon dosing will resolve that problem. Then all you will have a an easily wipe of film on the glass. Since it is white, easily comes off and doesn’t build up so fast you may only have to clean the glass every few day to a week.
 
I clean my front glass only maybe once or twice a month. The snails handle the sides and all.
 
If it were physically easier to do I’d clean the back glass just as often. I love the look of a spotless back glass as well. It’s just hard to reach behind the tank
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top