I’m getting 26 fish tomorrow- qt help???

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cassian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Just something for you to think about. You have a stable and running 180 gallon main display. Mixing new water is never as perfect as one would like. Swings in parameters often can and do occur from one batch to the next. And your going to be going through a lot of water changes. When I'm quarantining I add my display water to the QT tank and add the new water to the display. My though on this approach is two fold. First the display can more easily take the slight swings being your adding into such a bigger volume. Second is that when QT is over your water parameters in your display and QT tanks will be so close that transfer will be almost stress-less. As this is the interwebs I'm sure there are 100 reasons I shouldn't be doing it this way but it works well for me.

(this part is overkill)
I also keep my QT tank always running using 2 automatic water change systems. The AWC on my main tank pumps the saltwater (waste) from the tank into a 14 gallon plastic drum. The second AWC has this drum as it's (new) water source and adds that to the QT slowly over a 24 hour period. The waste from the QT goes down the drain. QT is a standard 50 gallon.
That’s a really good idea. I put some of my DT water in it when I set it up last week. I like the AWC system idea.
 
How are fish doing ?
 
Copper does not kill beneficial nitrifying bacteria. If you don't seed the tank with some biospira you are going to have major issues IMO.
I've never been able to seed a tank with medication. From my experience, it won't kill an active biofilter, but if you dump in starter bacteria they don't make it.
 
Hello all!

So I decided to transship a box of fish in directly from the Philippines. I’m super excited, but a little nervous as well. I’ve never qt’ed this many fish at a time. I’m getting 26 total. Only about 4 large bodied fish. The rest are small. I am following @HotRocks qt procedure and have also been reading @Humblefish ‘s qt advise. Here are my questions:

1. Is there anything I need to do for ammonia other than seeding? I put a filter sock form my DT into the sump of my QT

2. Are there any fish that can’t have prazi or copper other than scaleless fish? (This is what I’ve been told)

3. The transshipper is telling me I should drip acclimate, but I trust @HotRocks and @Humblefish when they say float and release into same salinity is better. Would you recommend this?

4. I am getting a mandarin, should I skip qt and put him straight into the dt? I’ve heard they are more sensitive.

5. I’m getting 2 moorish idols, anything special for them in qt? ( like no copper etc)

The QT is my old 65 gal tall tank with sump so I think it is adequate for all of the fish. I am not a newbie, I just want to triple check everything and make sure I do this right before they get here. Also, please do not hate on me for getting the moorish idols. Yes I know they are difficult and I know their requirements. I’ve always wanted to try one so here I go. Any advice on their care is much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Luke
Shouldn't this had been thought of long before the fish were due to arrive? I wish you the best as I hate seeing beautiful animals plucked out of the wild only to die in captivity.
 
I've never been able to seed a tank with medication. From my experience, it won't kill an active biofilter, but if you dump in starter bacteria they don't make it.
I have zero success with dr Tim’s, microbacter, etc but biospira works everytime.

I have started tanks in emergency situations and put fish in within 24 hours and never had ammonia register.
 
I have zero success with dr Tim’s, microbacter, etc but biospira works everytime.

I have started tanks in emergency situations and put fish in within 24 hours and never had ammonia register.
Yes, but was copper already in the water? That's what I am saying. I have no success adding bacteria after the medication.
 
I have zero success with dr Tim’s, microbacter, etc but biospira works everytime.

I have started tanks in emergency situations and put fish in within 24 hours and never had ammonia register.
What about Fritz Turbostart? Never tried it but heard good things
 
26 fish including 2 MI's into a 65G - i'll have to bite my tongue.

If things go south perhaps you could ask your LFS to help by taking some fish
 
26 fish including 2 MI's into a 65G - i'll have to bite my tongue.

If things go south perhaps you could ask your LFS to help by taking some fish

Ended up being 15 fish and no MI’s. No worries. I also ended up setting up three more qt tanks
 
Pitchers.jpg


Come on, we need to see some "pitchers"!
 
Ended up being 15 fish and no MI’s. No worries. I also ended up setting up three more qt tanks

Nice, sounds much more manageable. Hope it all goes well. Not against people (who know what they are doing) trying with an MI, just believe they need to have your sole focus and attention until they are happily in the DT
 
Nice, sounds much more manageable. Hope it all goes well. Not against people (who know what they are doing) trying with an MI, just believe they need to have your sole focus and attention until they are happily in the DT

Thanks! Very true. I have done hours of research on them. Kinda sad I didn’t get one cause I really wanted to try them out. Do you have experience with them?
 
For sure, love my Gill had him nearly 2 years now. When I first got him it was full on was in intensive care for weeks. I believe you need to minimise stress to get them to eat so can’t QT with others, have aggression, other fish stealing the food etc

7BA9FED9-37B4-4513-B2F0-DD94765C064E.jpeg

8988C247-1918-4CE7-A988-C5C09E0984FB.jpeg
 
For sure, love my Gill had him nearly 2 years now. When I first got him it was full on was in intensive care for weeks. I believe you need to minimise stress to get them to eat so can’t QT with others, have aggression, other fish stealing the food etc

7BA9FED9-37B4-4513-B2F0-DD94765C064E.jpeg

8988C247-1918-4CE7-A988-C5C09E0984FB.jpeg

Wow!!!! He is gorgeous!!! That streamer is amazing!! I want to get one eventually. Where did you buy yours from? I’m not going to have this 65 gal qt after this batch of fish goes into DT. Should I go ahead and get a MI to try once the tank is empty again or would it be alright in a 20 gal qt? You say they need intensive care for the first few weeks, is that to get them eating? Does yours bother corals?

Sorry for the load of questions. Haha. I really want one but am a little hesitant. That’s why I got them cheap during this order, but they didn’t make it through shipping
 
I think you should hold off and let the current batch of fish settle. MI’s in my opinion need to be the boss of the tank and you need a huge tank 6ft absolute minimum, mine ‘grew up’ in an 8x2. From those I’ve spoken too the central theme is they build their tank around the MIs needs not try to add an MI to an already busy tank
 
And if you must have one, get it from an LFS who can show you it feeding first, success of online purchases would have to be near zero I reckon
 
I think you should hold off and let the current batch of fish settle. MI’s in my opinion need to be the boss of the tank and you need a huge tank 6ft absolute minimum, mine ‘grew up’ in an 8x2. From those I’ve spoken too the central theme is they build their tank around the MIs needs not try to add an MI to an already busy tank

ThAnks for the info! Yes, I meant get it after this batch of fish are gone. I have an 8’x 2’ 180 gal. My tank isn’t very busy. All I have in it right now is some clowns, a wrasse, two fire fish, and an eel
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top