I believe my flame angel has ich....

What kind of behaivor can I expect to see? This morning I can't see any specks. Only seem to be visible in actinic lighting. Haven't seen any change in behavior, still eating like a hog. Can I expect to see some subtle changes in him as the assumed ick worsen?
 
What kind of behaivor can I expect to see? This morning I can't see any specks. Only seem to be visible in actinic lighting. Haven't seen any change in behavior, still eating like a hog. Can I expect to see some subtle changes in him as the assumed ick worsen?
You can actually expect to see them go through cycles of getting better (parasites drop off to reproduce) and worse (next generation hatching). Without intervention, one of two things will happen. The fish will have trouble breathing and die as it's gills become damaged or it will develop an immunity.
 
If you must, add them at the very beginning of your fallow period. Corals and inverts should be QT'd as well since they can bring ick and velvet into the display. A simply fishless frag tank can make this pretty easy. Mine is only 20 gallons and simple to maintain.
This. And this:
Well here is the removing fish from DT timeline for your quick reference:
Day one... all the way to: Day six.... followed by a deep depression and lots of drinking.

Best advice is what I got from Humblefish 58 days ago for velvet: "Do whatever you need to do to get your fish out of your tank and into QT." It isn't easy or fun, but just take the time to get all the fish out and into QT.
Also follow what Meredith said above. I wouldn't add corals except to a separate QT. I have seen way too many ich or velvet threads lately with the same beginning; it came in on corals or inverts, as those were the only new additions. Last thing you will want 45 days from now is to wonder whether you should have added that last coral and whether you need to reset the clock to zero days all over again.

One upside to your fallow period: copepod explosion in your DT. :eek: Only reefers love the fact that they are actively growing little bug like creatures in their tanks. o_Oo_Oo_O

Also, you can really feed your corals well for another 80 days or so. Target feeding and growth is fun to watch. :D:D
 
This. And this:


Best advice is what I got from Humblefish 58 days ago for velvet: "Do whatever you need to do to get your fish out of your tank and into QT." It isn't easy or fun, but just take the time to get all the fish out and into QT.
Also follow what Meredith said above. I wouldn't add corals except to a separate QT. I have seen way too many ich or velvet threads lately with the same beginning; it came in on corals or inverts, as those were the only new additions. Last thing you will want 45 days from now is to wonder whether you should have added that last coral and whether you need to reset the clock to zero days all over again.

One upside to your fallow period: copepod explosion in your DT. :eek: Only reefers love the fact that they are actively growing little bug like creatures in their tanks. o_Oo_Oo_O

Also, you can really feed your corals well for another 80 days or so. Target feeding and growth is fun to watch. :D:D
Yeah the pod thing I love. However coral growth, ehh. Coral is going through a tough time right now, had way to many changes in the tank in the last month. Overdosing, temp drop etc. so the coral is all kind of bleh right now, slowly coming back. And I've been trying to bring up my nitrates, to feed the coral, which will be tough without fish.
 
You should be able to get your corals straightened out now by just keeping things stable in the tank and keeping the corals really well fed. What are you doing to remove nitrates that is causing them to be so low? Either way, there is always KNO3. :eek:o_O
Target feed the corals, at least the ones that can be targeted. Turn off your skimmer and circulation devices for a few minutes so you can enjoy watching the corals. At least that's how I think about it. Your corals will get back to normal man. ;)
 
Consider turning your skimmer off for the majority of the time that you are fishless. Just keep an eye on nutrients and if they begin to rise, turn it on for a short time. I keep mine (with DC pump) at lowest setting so that water does not stagnate in skimmer. I just removed all fish and have set the clock for 76 days due to a Velvet outbreak, so having the same situation. Others have told me to continue feeding coral and keep skimmer off most of time. Monitor weekly for nutrients just to make sure all is well. I feed the Diesel Brew each night to my corals. If you ask Diesel, he likely will share the brew with you. @Diesel . ;)
 
Okay, something else to think about than. So how long does ick stay dormant before showing itself? I got that angel probably a month ago, and he is just now showing signs. Was it possible he had it and just not showing the symptoms, or did it most likely come in from my wrasse?

Ick can stay hidden in the gills for a long while. It could have been the addition of the wrasse that caused a little stress to the group and let the ick show itself. It was most likely in the tank before the wrasse.
 
So few questions. I can use media from my main tank to seed the QT right, since everything is going in at the same time, and I'm treating. Also I'm sure I will have to take out all of my rocks to catch my fish, how do I go about that, do I need to prepare some water to hold the rocks in while in catching and moving the fish? Should I just fill the QT with water from my main tank?
 
Thank you. You're right however, I learn best from my own mistakes. Was trying to move to quick. Won't make this mistake again. Have a fancy lid coming from artfully acrylic, won't be needing that for a while...so I can still add coral correct?
Do you have any coral dip? You should think about dipping your coral before adding to DT. For example we brought home 2 single zoa polyps from a fish store today, dipped them and watched all the little parasites come flying off...
 
Do you have any coral dip? You should think about dipping your coral before adding to DT. For example we brought home 2 single zoa polyps from a fish store today, dipped them and watched all the little parasites come flying off...
Yeah I dip my coral.
 
Do you have any coral dip? You should think about dipping your coral before adding to DT. For example we brought home 2 single zoa polyps from a fish store today, dipped them and watched all the little parasites come flying off...

Coral dips won't kill Ick or velvet that may be attached to rocks or hard corals.
 
So few questions. I can use media from my main tank to seed the QT right, since everything is going in at the same time, and I'm treating. Also I'm sure I will have to take out all of my rocks to catch my fish, how do I go about that, do I need to prepare some water to hold the rocks in while in catching and moving the fish? Should I just fill the QT with water from my main tank?

Get a couple totes or buckets, drain your display into those and use them to hold your rocks and corals. You can use sponges from the display to seed the QT but use new saltwater in the QT if you can. When you get all the fish out, put the rocks and corals back, then pump the water back into the tank. You can use this time to do a water change if you want as well.
 
Get a couple totes or buckets, drain your display into those and use them to hold your rocks and corals. You can use sponges from the display to seed the QT but use new saltwater in the QT if you can. When you get all the fish out, put the rocks and corals back, then pump the water back into the tank. You can use this time to do a water change if you want as well.
Thanks for the response. Curious, why use new water in the QT? I planned on taking five gallons from my DT, and making a fresh five to fill my QT.
 
Thanks for the response. Curious, why use new water in the QT?

Basically, if provides a clean slate for the fish. If you transfer the DT's water you are transferring parasites with it.
 
If you must, add them at the very beginning of your fallow period.
I'm guessing this answer was applied to adding corals during the fallow period? If so does that mean you can't add corals to a tank that is going fallow? The reason I ask is I don't have a QT coral tank set up at the moment since it's being used as a fish QT so I need to buy a new tank.. But anyway I just wanted to make sure it's ok to still add corals? Like it doesn't effect anything, say having to now restart the fallow period? Because I've seen and heard it many ways and just wanted to get that straight before I go off and buy corals lol. Also sorry to budge in here on this thread, thought this was the right place and time to ask..
 
I'm guessing this answer was applied to adding corals during the fallow period? If so does that mean you can't add corals to a tank that is going fallow? The reason I ask is I don't have a QT coral tank set up at the moment since it's being used as a fish QT so I need to buy a new tank.. But anyway I just wanted to make sure it's ok to still add corals? Like it doesn't effect anything, say having to now restart the fallow period? Because I've seen and heard it many ways and just wanted to get that straight before I go off and buy corals lol. Also sorry to budge in here on this thread, thought this was the right place and time to ask..
Yes, adding corals does reset the fallow period. You can't be sure that there isn't ich encysted on the corals you add.

I think people confuse this by how a coral QT works. If you add a coral to a coral QT it doesn't reset the clock on previously added coral. It does reset the clock on the tank itself.
 
I'm guessing this answer was applied to adding corals during the fallow period? If so does that mean you can't add corals to a tank that is going fallow? The reason I ask is I don't have a QT coral tank set up at the moment since it's being used as a fish QT so I need to buy a new tank.. But anyway I just wanted to make sure it's ok to still add corals? Like it doesn't effect anything, say having to now restart the fallow period? Because I've seen and heard it many ways and just wanted to get that straight before I go off and buy corals lol. Also sorry to budge in here on this thread, thought this was the right place and time to ask..

Yes, adding corals does reset the fallow period. You can't be sure that there isn't ich encysted on the corals you add.

I think people confuse this by how a coral QT works. If you add a coral to a coral QT it doesn't reset the clock on previously added coral. It does reset the clock on the tank itself.

^^ This exactly
 
^^ This exactly
Yes, adding corals does reset the fallow period. You can't be sure that there isn't ich encysted on the corals you add.

I think people confuse this by how a coral QT works. If you add a coral to a coral QT it doesn't reset the clock on previously added coral. It does reset the clock on the tank itself.
Ahh ok that's where I was getting confused. Well thanks for the clarification. But if I may ask why does it reset the clock on the DT and not the QT? Since they're both fish less it confuses me..
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top