Im done with ecotech who makes a reliable led?

That doesn’t show your rpm limit, all your showing is the motor and speed controller. I
Hope you don’t think because the battery says 5000 milliamperers you think that’s the rpms. Nobody would see or could monitor the rpms in the vehicle, that’s why it’s on the transmitter lol. It’s why there are devices called telemetry. Lower class electronics use fans, medium use fans and heat sinks and higher end use nothing but large heat sinks. Is this true for all applications no, but I’d feel like a very unethical person if I referred lights to the op that are not suitable for his needs. The whole point is for him to have proper professional advise. Not to mention fans are not super quiet, specially when the house is super quiet.
I circled the max rpm in yellow... hopefully this makes it easier for you to see :)

33770D0E-B9E6-4232-A41F-88739DF92630.jpeg
 
Yes that does it says max though not continuously huge difference
 
This sounds suspiciously like one of those posts that were made that air conditioners dont remove humidity - semantics - Or am I wrong?

Of course - Aluminum + a fan is going to be better than a fan alone - or aluminum alone. The question is - which does the lions share. I think the point was that many people don't like the failure of fans - and think aluminum alone would work fine.

and - the terms 'aluminum removes heat' is equivalent to 'aluminum conducts heat'.

My LEDs are 160W and use no fan. Even with everything at 100% for several hours, I can keep my hand on the heat sink and it is not hot to the point where I cannot grip it tightly. Aquatronica also sells a 240W model and that is also passively cooled. All the Lights they sell use 3W cree leds.
 
Last edited:
Board would look shiny like a coating of polyurethane was on it..
doubt if it is. There is even a question if Kessil coats their reef lights. They do coat the hydroponic ones..

093658995.jpg
To answer your inquiry. Kessil coats all their Aquarium boards with a waterproof coating.
 
To answer your inquiry. Kessil coats all their Aquarium boards with a waterproof coating.

Historically ,was that always done?
Just cleaning up some things..
At one time it was advertised as a feature in the hort lights but no mention of it in the reef/freshwater lights..
Sorry I did imply it was a question though, not a fact.. ;)
 
If you read the thread about the guy who has a 2000 gallon tank and obviously can afford anything; he has Orphek. I have had mine for several years with no issues.
 
If you read the thread about the guy who has a 2000 gallon tank and obviously can afford anything; he has Orphek. I have had mine for several years with no issues.

The interesting thing is - I would guess that most people dont follow the maintenance recommendations for their lights, keep them dust free, salt free etc - *ie.. salt spray from a lot of causes. I have had my radions for 3 years - with no problems. Knock on wood. I had AI lights - and needed 3 replacements in 3 years (before they were bought by echo tech)
 
Historically ,was that always done?
Just cleaning up some things..
At one time it was advertised as a feature in the hort lights but no mention of it in the reef/freshwater lights..
Sorry I did imply it was a question though, not a fact.. ;)
This has always been done in all of our aquarium lights due to the close proximity to the water but just isn't strongly advertised anymore. Some of our horticulture lights have this but not all of them! :)

This epoxy layer is actually what makes repairs so difficult on broken lights because once it is sealed it really can't be unsealed to make modifications on the board.
 
Last edited:
This has always been done in all of our aquarium lights due to the close proximity to the water but just isn't strongly advertised anymore. Some of our horticulture lights have this but not all of them! :)

This epoxy layer is actually what makes repairs so difficult on broken lights because once is sealed it really can be unsealed to make modifications on the board.
DO you mean it 'can't' be unsealed?
 
DO you mean it 'can't' be unsealed?
Never say never.. ;)

Epoxies often require physical removal of the material before the use of a solvent process to complete the removal/stripping of the conformal coating. Some of the physical processes for removing epoxies, include: Removal by Hand – Selective ablation can be used to remove epoxy coatings one small section at a time.

It's def not 'economical'.
Micro sandblasters.. ;)

Having been inside the Kessils before, I can tell you that repair the boards and replacing components/chips on them is going to be next to impossible. The boards are coated on both sides with a heavy plastic material to protect them from the humidity. It makes desolering and re-soldering next to impossible as the plastic melts from the heat. If you scrape the plastic coating off, when you go to remove or resolder, the plastic will melt into the parts you are working on and you won't get a good solder. While not impossible, it's a real nightmare.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2635480
 
This has always been done in all of our aquarium lights due to the close proximity to the water but just isn't strongly advertised anymore. Some of our horticulture lights have this but not all of them! :)
Thanks.. sort of been bugging me for years.. ;)
 
Never say never.. ;)



It's def not 'economical'.
Micro sandblasters.. ;)



http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2635480
Hey, it can be done but we don't do it with our repairs as the cost for all the labor to repair the board is next to the cost of a new light! Anyone is welcome to give it a try though ;)
 
I just picked up some orphek light bars and I like that you can replace the leds if one ever goes bad. LEDs do burn out or go bad over time so this only seems to make sense. They are also sealed so no moisture can get into the light. Maybe other light manufacturers will head in that direction.

I have kessils and there is basically no way to service them. I guess that's the trade off for them being coated to help fight against moisture.
 
It’s always a battle. You can seal the lights up but won’t be able to replace components. Or you can not seal up the lights and be able to replace components. I think it would be better to replace broken components then replace the whole thing.
 
It’s always a battle. You can seal the lights up but won’t be able to replace components. Or you can not seal up the lights and be able to replace components. I think it would be better to replace broken components then replace the whole thing.


OR.. just don't use fans..
W/out those one can seal w/.... err..seals.. ;)
 
It’s always a battle. You can seal the lights up but won’t be able to replace components. Or you can not seal up the lights and be able to replace components. I think it would be better to replace broken components then replace the whole thing.

What I'm saying is the orphek light bars are completely sealed up but they can also be taken apart and serviced. So if a led goes out you can take it apart and replace the individual led yourself. The kessil leds aren't able to be replaced. So if they burn out you just have to throw the whole light away which seems like a waste to me.

Also notice the aluminum heatsinks. Gotta say I'm very impressed with the Orphek OR2 light bars after receiving them this week. These lights were over built. Two Or2 120's put out almost the same par as the two 80 watt t5's they replaced after measuring them both with my apogee meter.

PSX_20191227_193435.jpg DEPIyFK.jpg imageproxy.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I just contacted ecotech about the location of manufacturing etc. we should have a definitive answer in a bit ;)
That has their lights made in China. They are not “American made.”

They are playing a semantic game here. At most they have the final assembly completed from all components that are 100% made in China. The lights are also partially assembled in China.
 
in the topic of the OP- IMHO - and its only 20 years experience- every light has its pluses nd minuses. in the meantime - I disagree with the OP - there iz no difference between his light and others. just search the site
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top