JDowns Red Sea Reefer 525XL Ver. 2.0

@JDowns and @CDavmd, when you say front glass hanging do you mean it's not supported? Just the bottom glass is supported?

The front glass of the aquarium is meant to hang off the edge and be flush with the front doors. So the back side and left and right are supported just not the front pane of glass.
 
The front glass of the aquarium is meant to hang off the edge and be flush with the front doors. So the back side and left and right are supported just not the front pane of glass.
that makes me feel a lot better. I bought a little 22 gallon rimless and they sent a leveling mat with it. there are some spots where the leveling mat doesn't make contact with the side panels but the entire bottom panel is supported by it. I just assumed they knew what they are doing, but this makes me feel better.
 
I'm still torn whether or not to remove the black back on the tank like the other one. The see through really gives a sense of depth while the black a sense of contrast. Hard part is once it's off its off.
 
giphy.gif


Waiting on this one!
 
@JDowns can you go a bit more in-depth on the magnetic stirrer?

I am really intrigued.

I tore apart an off the shelf stirrer that was meant to work for 3000ml. But the magnets were so weak that the stir bar would constantly just jump out of alignment. So I took it apart and replaced the magnets with larger 20lb pull magnets, printed up holders for the magnets with plastic inserts for screws to hold to the original balanced aluminum spacer that attaches to the motor. Then replaced the motor with a larger 10,000 rpm. In the end the only parts I kept was the aluminum spacer for the magnets and the small PCB with the pot assembly for controlling the speed. This will all just now get mounted in the testing and frag cart so I can easily mix up to 5 gallons of stuff at a time. I want to design something but a bit larger for the 25 gallon Kalk container so mixing Kalk will be easier then either stirring by hand or dropping in a small pump.

Motor is tension held into the holder and two 1/2" diameter by 3/8" tall n52 magnets are then encased in holders to mechanically attache to the original aluminum housing.

IMG_1947.JPG


Faceplate assembly for the POT and dial will go on the cart fascia above the first drawer. LED gets brighter the more voltage that is applied.

IMG_1976.JPG
 
You almost started from scratch! LOL!

I think I will tinker with it and just build one from scratch. Somewhere I have a 200RPM gear reduction motor than runs off 12 volt that I bet would work. Got a ton of torque. Maybe print up a bracket to hold the magnets and fit over the output gear really snuggly and go from there.
 
You almost started from scratch! LOL!

I think I will tinker with it and just build one from scratch. Somewhere I have a 200RPM gear reduction motor than runs off 12 volt that I bet would work. Got a ton of torque. Maybe print up a bracket to hold the magnets and fit over the output gear really snuggly and go from there.

Thats what I will end up doing for the Kalk Stirrer. I'll grab some parts from Pololu. I may order another one just for the PCB parts for the POT as that will save a lot of time and they are only $20. Probably go with a motor like this although I haven't completely thought it through yet. But something with a lot of torque so a larger stir bar can be made. Then a good pair of N52 for the motor side and stir bar side. I need to go through 1/2" plywood, about 1/8" of plastic and probably another 1/8" of acrylic that is glued to the bottom of the tank so eventually the stir bar doesn't wear down the tank.

https://www.pololu.com/product/3201


The mag holders are pretty simple. Zero tolerance and the magnets are vice pressed into the PET so they are never coming out. There is a slight 0.15mm lip at the top so when you press in the magnet it squashes it in.. #2-56 threaded inserts on the bottom for a mechanical attachment to the aluminum wheel.

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 2.37.24 PM.png


image.png
 
I did not think at all about wear on the bottom of the tank. Glad you said something. I think I will use 1/8" UHMW sheet when the time comes. It's slick and abrasion resistant to a point.
 
Going to wing it on the first version and see what happens.

Going to try a 12v / 500 rpm / 85 oz-in stall motor with a pair of 1.5" x .5" N52 magnets with a custom stir bar with spheres encased inside. I think O-Rings should give the spacing and reduce friction on the bottom of the container. If I end up keeping all my fingers the experiment will be a success.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 10.56.34 AM.png
 
Got a link for the motor setup?

I think I might play along.

Motor Stuff

https://www.pololu.com/product/3203
https://www.pololu.com/product/2676
https://www.pololu.com/product/1081

Magnets

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DX88-N52&cat=168
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S8

If the spheres don't work out then the same enclosure but with these. The spheres have a smaller pull but I'm guessing it will be enough. The ones below at about 1" of free space are in danger of losing digits.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D8X8
 
Nice. I had already ordered the magnets. :)

I think I will get the stuff after the wedding. I have to finish a couple lights for folks and finish some diffusers as well.

Then, I can concentrate on a mixing station .
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top