New ATO coming out By Red Sea w/ level and temperature sensor !!

I installed mine today. Top up working perfectly. Only issue is that the ReefBeat app says my temperature is 22.2 degrees when my other temperature gauge says 24.2 degrees. My two Aqua One heaters are set on around 25-26 degrees.

I can override the RedSea one but I was hoping it was closer to my other thermometer reading.
 
At $199 looks very promising and cost effective !!

The ReefATO+ is designed to maintain a stable salinity and water volume in a reef aquarium by automatically replenishing the water lost due to evaporation. In addition, the ReefATO+ provides two other critical aquarium health indicators: a fully featured on-line digital temperature monitor and a leak detector.


1675532890826.png
1675532910717.png
1675532956937.png
Does it know to stop pumping water when the leak is from a busted seam?
 
Does it know to stop pumping water when the leak is from a busted seam?
if you watch the vid is stated that it "learns" your average pump run/fill time and if this is exceeded the logic shuts down the pump
 
Installed mine today, build quality is way better than the tunze ones at pretty much the same price. Leak detector works great, alarm is very audible and the app sent me a notification right away. Temperature sensor was off .2 degrees compared to my inkbird but that sensor is in another place so i am keeping it like this. Pump is surprisingly silent and powerful. Decided not to use the water volume monitor since ill probably forget to tell the app i topped it off and i dont always top it off all the way (i have a large container and a small rodi lol)

All in all, short term experience with it i would recommend it over a tunze on larger tanks, its a bit too chunky for nanos
 
For new owners- was it an issue mounting to a Non-Red sea sump ?
 
For new owners- was it an issue mounting to a Non-Red sea sump ?
i mounted it without the upgrade kit cuz dumb old me removed the float switch since i dont use the integrated ato, had one issue with it that was with that my sump had not enough clearance for the magnet at the right side, other than that installation wasnt that bad
 
i mounted it without the upgrade kit cuz dumb old me removed the float switch since i dont use the integrated ato, had one issue with it that was with that my sump had not enough clearance for the magnet at the right side, other than that installation wasnt that bad
I run a bashsea sump which is eurobraced and concern is hanging any of the brackets. I watchedvideo by Hillary and it seemed she had a rimless sump without the trim as below

1686491606408.png
 
I run a bashsea sump which is eurobraced and concern is hanging any of the brackets. I watchedvideo by Hillary and it seemed she had a rimless sump without the trim as below

1686491606408.png
the only bracket that hangs is the one for the tube, you can easily mount that to a baffle and achieve the same result
 
the only bracket that hangs is the one for the tube, you can easily mount that to a baffle and achieve the same result
Thank you
 
Does it know to stop pumping water when the leak is from a busted seam?
Lol, yes it even tells you not to buy used and abused red sea tanks. It also reminds you who is the most popular best selling reef system in the hobby.
 
Last edited:
I installed mine on my RS170 with a RedSea sump. I am happy with it. The pump runs quiet, it will pause the pump and notify me if the ATO is low, also it charts the fills and how much. It will give you a visual reference to where your water level is at.
My only frustration with it so far is... This ATO is on a temperate tank and I can not adjust the Max and Min temperature ranges to match that. So I get an out of range warning. I submitted a ticket and they replied that they would submit it to the engineers. I was hoping with the latest firmware update this would be taken care of but nope... The range that it comes with is quite wide, but not wide enough for my use. This issue probably only affects less than 1% of overall users so I can see why it is not a first priority to fix it. but hopefully they will.
 
First Tunze lasted 8 years with one pump replacement. The second going strong. If I were considering the Redsea I would be looking at a couple things.

1) The leak detector: Like the new Apex or like the old one that had exposed contacts that corroded just being under the tank let alone getting wet. Very short life. And no, the Tunze does not have leak detection or temp but my Apex does.
2) Looks like the Redsea is optical level sensing only. Would prefer to also have a mechanical backup.
3) Really don't like the "learning" feature or trust it for auto shutoff. Would prefer something like the Tunze's fixed timer that shuts it down if water level sensor has not shut it off yet.
4) Looks to use a very short proprietary power cable to pump. May be well suited to tanks with RO reservoir under the sump but not much else i.e. mine with ATO reservoir outdoors and just a two wire DC connection to outdoor pump.

It actually looks pretty nice, and I probably would consider it if I were adding a smaller tank with ATO reservoir in stand.
 
First Tunze lasted 8 years with one pump replacement. The second going strong. If I were considering the Redsea I would be looking at a couple things.

1) The leak detector: Like the new Apex or like the old one that had exposed contacts that corroded just being under the tank let alone getting wet. Very short life. And no, the Tunze does not have leak detection or temp but my Apex does.
2) Looks like the Redsea is optical level sensing only. Would prefer to also have a mechanical backup.
3) Really don't like the "learning" feature or trust it for auto shutoff. Would prefer something like the Tunze's fixed timer that shuts it down if water level sensor has not shut it off yet.
4) Looks to use a very short proprietary power cable to pump. May be well suited to tanks with RO reservoir under the sump but not much else i.e. mine with ATO reservoir outdoors and just a two wire DC connection to outdoor pump.

It actually looks pretty nice, and I probably would consider it if I were adding a smaller tank with ATO reservoir in stand.
The leak detector are a double contact system that can be mounted, mine is mounted outside the stand on the floor. The contacts are titanium I believe.
The sensor is NOT optical it is a multi-titanium pin/contacts. So that is a bonus compared to optical sensors that get calcium build up on them.
The pump has a 10 ft power cable to it. I understand that doesn’t work for you, but it is a very generous amount. You also have to program the rise and the distance from the pump to your sump so it can calculate the amount of water traveling to your sump.
So this may not be for your use right now, but I am pretty happy with mine.
 
loved my old tunze but had a couple issues with it that the redsea one solves:
- the tunze pump is incredibly loud, since my ato is hidden in a sitting utensil (dunno what its called) in my living room that gets annoying quick
- my tunze was not happy when i did a water change and to avoid the alarm i had to turn it off, problem with that was then when i finished the waterchange and the waterlevel was above the sensor it would treat that as "waterlevel too low" and start filling until the float switch got triggered.
- also my old tunze had a wonky power connector but that is just age
 
The leak detector are a double contact system that can be mounted, mine is mounted outside the stand on the floor. The contacts are titanium I believe.
The sensor is NOT optical it is a multi-titanium pin/contacts. So that is a bonus compared to optical sensors that get calcium build up on them.
The pump has a 10 ft power cable to it. I understand that doesn’t work for you, but it is a very generous amount. You also have to program the rise and the distance from the pump to your sump so it can calculate the amount of water traveling to your sump.
So this may not be for your use right now, but I am pretty happy with mine.
Ok just questions but if you look at the picture vetteguy posted at start of thread that's a really short cable from the pump to the controller. Unless they are shipping a longer cable version pretty sure that's not 10ft. Even with contacts you are going to get buildup and fouling so don't take it for granted. This would be pretty awesome if it had a mechanical backup float switch.
 
loved my old tunze but had a couple issues with it that the redsea one solves:
- the tunze pump is incredibly loud, since my ato is hidden in a sitting utensil (dunno what its called) in my living room that gets annoying quick
- my tunze was not happy when i did a water change and to avoid the alarm i had to turn it off, problem with that was then when i finished the waterchange and the waterlevel was above the sensor it would treat that as "waterlevel too low" and start filling until the float switch got triggered.
- also my old tunze had a wonky power connector but that is just age
Guess I never noticed the pump being inside a 44g container outside. If I'm outside I barely hear a hum. Never had the water change problem. Then again, I always turn it off when I do water changes which are always 44g out and 44g in.

And yes, my old Tunze had the power connector issue well before it died. Pretty common even with Ecotech Vortechs and others. All those type connectors I try to plugin once and never touch again. Just weak circuit boards and/or poor solder jobs.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top