Opinions about my new tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
It is a thin layer of green algae - not coralline. It is not a bad algae as long as you have snails and hermits eating it. If you do not like the pop - just suck it up with a tube but some hermits or sea cucumbers can fix it too

Sincerely Lasse
 
It is a thin layer of green algae - not coralline. It is not a bad algae as long as you have snails and hermits eating it. If you do not like the pop - just suck it up with a tube but some hermits or sea cucumbers can fix it too

Sincerely Lasse

Hi thank you for your answer. I have snails trying to eat it, but it doesn’t seem like it comes off, kind of weird.
 
You made some smart decisions listening to reef2reef, tank looks like it’s progressing, I also don’t think that is coralline. Try blowing it off with a turkey baster and see if it comes off.
 
You made some smart decisions listening to reef2reef, tank looks like it’s progressing, I also don’t think that is coralline. Try blowing it off with a turkey baster and see if it comes off.

Hi, I tried. It doesn’t come off. Looks like paint :D
 
Have you seen a field that have been grazed by sheep or a lawn that has a robot lawnmower? If the snails haven´t done their job - it has been a hairy lawn.

Sincerely Lasse
 
Have you seen a field that have been grazed by sheep or a lawn that has a robot lawnmower? If the snails haven´t done their job - it has been a hairy lawn.

Sincerely Lasse

You made some smart decisions listening to reef2reef, tank looks like it’s progressing, I also don’t think that is coralline. Try blowing it off with a turkey baster and see if it comes off.

The rocks are getting purple too?? Can algae be purple?
 
The rocks are getting purple too?? Can algae be purple?

That´s probably coralline algae - congratulations

Sincerely Lasse
 
Oh my goodness, now I don't know what to think haha, just wait it out right? :)
Yea, coraline is good, it’s the purple stuff on most healthy reefs rocks covering them, like a candy shell. It’s like an apex rock algae, nuisance algae has a much more difficult time growing on it compared to just rock. So yea, it’s good :)
 
I had mentioned to her about getting a small 75 GPD unit. No one told her to get a big unit.

I have a (I think) 35 or 50 gpd. I have is set with a float switch such that it stops making RODI at the top of my RODI container - and shuts off water flow to the membrane. As I drain water out - it fills up automatically until it hits for float switch - works well - when I want to do a water change - I just put salt in the large container - mix it overnight and pump it to the tank - so that the water is constantly being fully replenished.
 
Hi Guys, does anybody know what this green stuff is? Is it green coralline or bad algae? I got some turbo snails that removed the brown algae in two days :confused:, but whenever they go over the green rocks it doesn’t seem to be removing it, so I am guessing it is coralline. You guys are The experts so help please!! :)
Ps : I'm including a picture of Flash standing on the snails lol. He loves it. Also, these snails are a poop machine, it seems like the siphon DO NOT remove them as well. I tried picking them up with my hand, but the poop just dissolved lol. Does anybody know what can I do? It makes the tank look horrible.
97F95F19-4A6C-46F0-8032-7DFC5AB38C27.jpeg
93FBBBE6-E688-40A3-A08B-C97874AAC95D.jpeg

It looks like harmless green algae. BTW congratulations getting through everything. The ZOA frag is a good sign. :)
 
It looks like harmless green algae. BTW congratulations getting through everything. The ZOA frag is a good sign. :)

Lol thank you!!! I can’t believe those rocks are getting like that sooo fast tho? Lol


Yea, coraline is good, it’s the purple stuff on most healthy reefs rocks covering them, like a candy shell. It’s like an apex rock algae, nuisance algae has a much more difficult time growing on it compared to just rock. So yea, it’s good :)

thank you!! I am happy that the stress of cycling the tank is over lol
 
Just a sign your tank is doing well. The more time that goes by the more spread you'll have in your tank. That's why I liked saltwater tanks when I first started out I just bought a couple of live rocks from the LFS and bought the rest dry rock from MarcoRocks and over time coralline algae just spreaded all over the rocks and t=my tanks. I just have to keep up with scraping the coralline of the glass
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top