REEF TANGS! How many tangs do you have in your reef?

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

  • 0

    Votes: 419 25.8%
  • 1

    Votes: 340 20.9%
  • 2

    Votes: 284 17.5%
  • 3

    Votes: 220 13.5%
  • 4

    Votes: 117 7.2%
  • 5+

    Votes: 235 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 9 0.6%

  • Total voters
    1,624
Would love to have one but tank is too small to properly house one. How’re if I could I would love to finally have my purple tang my favorite fish.
 
I currently have 5 tangs in a 150 gallon.
1 Purple
1 Powder Chocolate
1 Orange Striped Kole
1 Half Black & White
1 Chocolate Minic

I've been debating about getting an Achilles or Yellow Bellied Blue Tang.

When I added the orange striped and black/ white, I tried adding a convic too but it didn't ship well. It was a battle with the 3 established tangs. I don't know if I want to go through that again adding more tangs. I think my tank is too small to add anymore. Agree/disagree?
 
I have had a blue tang in my RS 265 that's about 55 gallons for nearly 3 years. And I have a Flame Fin Tomini in my RS 170 that's about 34 gallons for about 2 years. Permanent homes for them both. I don't feel in any way these tanks are too small for the fish. The Tomini is a little shy, but it's in there.
RS 260 6:2020.jpg
170 1:1:20.jpg
170 1:1:20.jpg
 
I'm a sucker for tangs. Always have been and always will be. But we are limited in how many and what types we house in our reefs by tanks sizes, other inhabitants etc. But that won't keep us from talking about them today! :)

1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now?

2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?



image via @vetteguy53081
tang.jpeg
2 Yellow in 150 ; 1 Bristletooth 55 gal
 
I have 7 in 100g sps waterbox. Clown tang, Sailfin, hippo, powder blue, powder brown, bristle tooth, convict. All tangs are about 2 inches except for the convict tang. He’s 3.5 and recently started to get bullied by 2 inch clown tang. I’m sure I’ll have to trade them in when they start getting bigger.
 
I have 7 in 100g sps waterbox. Clown tang, Sailfin, hippo, powder blue, powder brown, bristle tooth, convict. All tangs are about 2 inches except for the convict tang. He’s 3.5 and recently started to get bullied by 2 inch clown tang. I’m sure I’ll have to trade them in when they start getting bigger.
Clown tangs are evil!! At least mine was.
 
Wow This thread made me realize I am a sucker for tangs...
In the 275 I have
2x Yellows
2x Purples
Desjardini sailfin
Tomini
Unicorn
The unicorn will need to be rehomed within the next year or so if he doesn't stop growing... I might just look up his skirt, and toss him in the 600 gallon bloodstock tank if he is male
The frag tank has a large purple.
The boodstock tank will be getting about 8 Gem tangs in the next couple of months.
 
750 xxl

Gold Rim Tang (Major Payne)
Purple Tang (Bart)
Mimic Tang ( Fudgy)
Blue Regal Tang ( Moto Moto)
White Tail Bristle Tang ( Dupree)

waiting on the arrival of my Gem Tang (Vinny)

Love my tangs
 
180g reef
had a clown that tortured all the residents so hes gone.
Also had a sailfin and a orange shoulder both passed after being with me for over 8 years.
Currently housing
Naso
Purple
Flamefin
 
Ive got 4 ... one female naso one yellow one achilles and one gem tang in my 225gallon . LOVE THEM
 

Attachments

  • 4959B96C-1F59-4EB8-812D-D73E151A08A4.jpeg
    4959B96C-1F59-4EB8-812D-D73E151A08A4.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 67
I have a small yellow eye kole tang in a 46 gallon bow front. I’m just deciding on who I’m buying a 180 peninsula from. Any suggestions would be great. I need to order ASAP before my kole gets bigger.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top