REEF TANGS! How many tangs do you have in your reef?

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

  • 0

    Votes: 419 25.8%
  • 1

    Votes: 340 20.9%
  • 2

    Votes: 284 17.5%
  • 3

    Votes: 220 13.5%
  • 4

    Votes: 117 7.2%
  • 5+

    Votes: 235 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 9 0.6%

  • Total voters
    1,624
I have one sailfin which is likely going to outgrow my 100 (60x18x20) so I will need to catch her sometime... I have a lot of LR and nice hiding places - loads of space in front and decent space in back of the rock.. I think she will just get too large and turning will be difficult. I have had her for about 6 months. She and the foxface have grown a lot in since I put them in late September 2020.
 
AF219C13-C806-4961-BD0F-0162D403012E.jpeg

Here’s my tang gang in my 150 gallon!
- yellow
- chevron
- gem
- purple
 
In my 180:
1x Purple Tang
1x Sailfin Tang
1x Orange Shoulder tang
1x Clown Tang
1x Vlamingi Tang

All added at different times. All get along and play together well.
 

Attachments

  • 20210228_161957.jpg
    20210228_161957.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210228_200528.jpg
    20210228_200528.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 68
I have one small one in my 35 gallon. I've kept just one for many years. I try to purchase the smallest one I can find, and keep for as long as I can, and then rehome them when they grow too big.
 
I have one of each:

Yellow - Purple - Sohal - Hippo - Sailfin - Naso

They are all around 6" or larger in my 425g.

I have tried to add a few more yellow tangs a couple of times, but my Purple tang turns into a monster and kills them. For the most part they all get along now.
 
I have a powder blue, kole, sailfin and a scopas in my 1000L. I did have a regal and a purple too but there was daily carnage so I removed them.
 
I’m surprised how few powder blues are out there. I have a yellow and plan to get a powder blue. That’s it though.
 
I’m surprised how few powder blues are out there. I have a yellow tang but want a powder blue also. But that’s all.
 
I have two tanks 300g DD with hippo, desjardini sailfin, two yellows, and purple and large angle fish; and the other tank another small hippo and orange shoulder tang
 
180 with just a couple small corals. 1 vlamingi, 1 Lt, 2 yellows, 1 blue hippo, 1 flame so 6. As you can see, they aren't hurting for food lol.
tangs1.jpg
tangs2.jpg
How is your Lieutenant tang with its tankmates? Is it as aggressive as the Orange-Shoulder is said to be?
 
I currently have 5 tangs in a 150 gallon.
1 Purple
1 Powder Chocolate
1 Orange Striped Kole
1 Half Black & White
1 Chocolate Minic

I've been debating about getting an Achilles or Yellow Bellied Blue Tang.

When I added the orange striped and black/ white, I tried adding a convic too but it didn't ship well. It was a battle with the 3 established tangs. I don't know if I want to go through that again adding more tangs. I think my tank is too small to add anymore. Agree/disagree?
Might be best to stay with what you have- five might be about the aggression/competition limit for a 150. Six may be feasible if they were all brought through quarantine together and added at the same time (or maybe three now, three later), but a new face in the midst of five established ones might end very badly for the newcomer. And you run the risk of disease and infection if the fighting gets bad. I'm setting up a 180 right now, and though there's about 11 tangs that I want, I'm going to go with three, maybe four. If you really want another, perhaps you could try using an acclimation box for a few days when you introduce him, along with a few mirrors around your tank. It may also help to feed your established tangs very heavily if introducing another one; sending them into a food coma on seaweed may mellow them a bit.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top