REEF TANGS! How many tangs do you have in your reef?

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

  • 0

    Votes: 419 25.8%
  • 1

    Votes: 340 20.9%
  • 2

    Votes: 284 17.5%
  • 3

    Votes: 220 13.5%
  • 4

    Votes: 117 7.2%
  • 5+

    Votes: 235 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 9 0.6%

  • Total voters
    1,624
I have two lavender tangs in a 15 gallon aquarium. here we go with the haters . 1st if u can't keep tangs alive just don't keep them . don't be hating cuzz your jelly I can keep tangs and you can't.
 
Bullying to the extreme, intimidation and scarfing all the food preventing others from eating
 
I voted No as my Aquarium is only 123L (32.5gal).

I don’t know of any tangs that are suitable for a tank this size. Although I would like to know if it is possible.

As we’ll, I’d love to know what herbivores I could substitute with.
 
Last edited:
I had 3 in my 120, a Tomini tang, a Gold Rim tang, and a LT tang. I picked other because I shut that tank down for my upgrade. I plan on having 6 or more in my 225 gal upgrade, maybe 8. ;Jawdrop :p;Jawdrop
 
I have a yellow tang in my 120g tank. His name is Lenny. I wish I could have more tangs, but would need a bigger tank.
 
I have 3. Yellow Tang, Regal Blue and Powder Blue ( added last and was the smallest if the 3. Been in my 150 for 5+ years.
 
I have the following in my 310 gallon:
Purple
Gem
Blue regal
Achilles
Blonde naso
Tomini
Mauliceps
Powder Brown
 
I have a 7ft 210g tank. The only tangs I have ever owned are yellow and kole (we do not speak of the purple that we had for a month). I currently have two yellows and one Kole. Before this (in the old tank) I had a yellow and a kole for many years.
I do not think I would house any other tangs. If I did not have my current tangs, I may do another bristletooth (two spot or tomini) and possibly a purple or scopas. Nothing else. Not more than three as I have now.
 
3 in QT! About 10 days always from being transferred to DT! Yellow Tang is a total butt! Scenes they are all like that from what I’ve read!
 
1 Yellow Tang in my 220 gallon (2 weeks into an upgrade from a 90 gallon). Will be adding a Blonde Naso in a few months once everything is stable. Will likely get one more tang as well, probably a Purple but my wife wants a Hippo. I'm just tired enough of people always pointing to "Nemo", can't imagine having to hear people scream "DORY" as well. As much as I love Tangs, I love the look of lot's of smaller fish instead of a few bigger ones, so will have a couple wrasse's, Blenny's and either more Anthias (have a pair of Lyretail's now) or Talbot Damsels.
 
I'm a sucker for tangs. Always have been and always will be. But we are limited in how many and what types we house in our reefs by tanks sizes, other inhabitants etc. But that won't keep us from talking about them today! :)

1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now?

2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?



image via @vetteguy53081
tang.jpeg
 
I'm a sucker for tangs. Always have been and always will be. But we are limited in how many and what types we house in our reefs by tanks sizes, other inhabitants etc. But that won't keep us from talking about them today! :)

1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now?

2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?



image via @vetteguy53081
tang.jpeg
I have a 150 gallon that’s been running for 5 months and have tried two different tangs at different times but have lost both to disease. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Fish are always healthy when I purchase them. I have 12 other various reef friendly fish that have been in tank from the beginning and they have all done fine.
 
Might be best to stay with what you have- five might be about the aggression/competition limit for a 150. Six may be feasible if they were all brought through quarantine together and added at the same time (or maybe three now, three later), but a new face in the midst of five established ones might end very badly for the newcomer. And you run the risk of disease and infection if the fighting gets bad. I'm setting up a 180 right now, and though there's about 11 tangs that I want, I'm going to go with three, maybe four. If you really want another, perhaps you could try using an acclimation box for a few days when you introduce him, along with a few mirrors around your tank. It may also help to feed your established tangs very heavily if introducing another one; sending them into a food coma on seaweed may mellow them a bit.
I agree with this 100%. The easiest way to prevent tang aggression is to introduce them at the same time. Or If introducing a new tang, make sure it’s a largest one.
 
How is your Lieutenant tang with its tankmates? Is it as aggressive as the Orange-Shoulder is said to be?

He's not been aggressive really at all. He tried to show the vlaminigi who was boss for a while but now that they are close to equal size wise he doesn't do that. He's actually a pretty close to ideal tank mate.
Now if you ask me how I feel about his "special" behavior in clearing sand out of every hiding spot I might have a different reply lol.
 
In my 375
Hippo ( big as thumb nail when I got him 14 years ago)
Blonde Naso ( Ugly brown w/o colors since then its a pretty 8" with streamers)
Sailfin
3 X Yellow
Power Blue (the mellowest of all)
 
I have one Tang, a Tomni Tang... he/she is a Total butt-hole. He came in more than a year after my pair of Picasso Percula Clowns, and did fine for a year+. Now, he terrorizes my clowns daily; seems like food agro with no reason. Good eater/pecker of algae, but if the clown pair starts to show extreme stress it will be time for him to go.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top