REEF TANGS! How many tangs do you have in your reef?

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

  • 0

    Votes: 419 25.8%
  • 1

    Votes: 340 20.9%
  • 2

    Votes: 284 17.5%
  • 3

    Votes: 220 13.5%
  • 4

    Votes: 117 7.2%
  • 5+

    Votes: 235 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 9 0.6%

  • Total voters
    1,624
Shy Powder Blue and VERY active Lavender in Red Sea Reefer 350(73g display)
 

Attachments

  • 9EB01138-C2DD-4456-B03A-D199B8CCA31C.jpeg
    9EB01138-C2DD-4456-B03A-D199B8CCA31C.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 4652B6D9-255A-427A-8756-7E634DE34F24.jpeg
    4652B6D9-255A-427A-8756-7E634DE34F24.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 128
I have a baby blue hippo tang in my 20g. Before the tang police come after me, as he grows he’ll ‘force’ me to upgrade
 

Attachments

  • AB000732-FAD2-4203-9B08-9124D187A632.jpeg
    AB000732-FAD2-4203-9B08-9124D187A632.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 83
I'm a sucker for tangs. Always have been and always will be. But we are limited in how many and what types we house in our reefs by tanks sizes, other inhabitants etc. But that won't keep us from talking about them today! :)

1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now?

2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?



image via @vetteguy53081
tang.jpeg
1 purple tang in a 80 gallon.
 
I would LOVE a tang, even if it's a little one for my 50 gal display tank (yes I know this is a small tank for them and would be intending to upgrade/move it out after it got too big).
However haven't committed to it yet, will let the tank mature and for me to settle into the hobby some more first I think then consider whether I do it or wait.
 
I have 5 total in a 125g with a 75g sump. One yellow, 1 sail fin, 1 purple, a hippo and a sohal.
20200831_170251.jpg
Is this a 6 foot? I have a 4 foot by 2 by 2 120. I don’t think a blue hippo is good for mine once it gets bigger. Any of yours be good in a 4 foot tank?
 
Wow amazing, what size tank is this?
Display is 1500 litres and whole system with sump around 2000 and thank you. And there is also a S650 which has even more tangs in it!
 
I voted No as my Aquarium is only 123L (32.5gal).

I don’t know of any tangs that are suitable for a tank this size. Although I would like to know if it is possible.

As we’ll, I’d love to know what herbivores I could substitute with.
Lawnmower Benny?
 
Almost every issue I have had with my tank over the years have been tang related- from an very aggressive PBT called my family named psycho, through a Purple tang which came out in spots every time I put a new fish in the tank (even a small none threatening one) to a group of 5 YT which lived happily together for 3 years then started picking on and killing one of the group till I only had one left.

TBH running a 2000l tank is a challenge without the browsing action of them is a challenge, but I am so glad I made the decision not to include them in this incarnation of the system. I have a much calmer, peaceful system.
 
My 180 has a Desjardin, Vlamingii, Blue Hippo, nano
IMG_1120.JPG
and a bariene.
 
Just got our two spot. 80 gallon tank. Last fish we will add. Seems to have a great personality so far. Best was watching our cleaner shrimp go say hello after we added the tang.
918A3107-AFFF-4094-848A-A60E147FF0E6.jpeg
 
I have 2 Yellows and 1 Blonde Naso in my Red Sea 525xl. Yellows were well established in the tank and significantly bigger than the Naso. After a few days of challenges, with the Naso always standing its ground, they all decided to just get along.
 
Hi! I am new here. I have a Red Sea Peninsula 650 with one Scopas Tang and will be getting a Powder Brown soon. I had a Powder brown but unfortunately got ich and brooks (I believe) in my tank and lost most of my fish. Starting over.
 
He's not been aggressive really at all. He tried to show the vlaminigi who was boss for a while but now that they are close to equal size wise he doesn't do that. He's actually a pretty close to ideal tank mate.
Now if you ask me how I feel about his "special" behavior in clearing sand out of every hiding spot I might have a different reply lol.
Ha, ha, ha. Well, that is good to hear. I have sort of had my heart set on an Orange-Shoulder Tang for some time, but after re-reading Bob Fenner's book on tangs, I'm concerned for my Blue-Spot Rabbitfish. But I've also liked the beautiful Lt. tang. So you've really helped me towards a decision here. Thank you!!
 
I'm a sucker for tangs. Always have been and always will be. But we are limited in how many and what types we house in our reefs by tanks sizes, other inhabitants etc. But that won't keep us from talking about them today! :)

1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now?

2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?



image via @vetteguy53081
tang.jpeg
A nice little sampler: a sailfin, a hippo blue, and a purple. I'd love to get a yellow, but I'm afraid to upset the balance. Purple and sailfin slap each other occasionally, but mostly tolerate each other.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top