REEF TANGS! How many tangs do you have in your reef?

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

  • 0

    Votes: 419 25.8%
  • 1

    Votes: 340 20.9%
  • 2

    Votes: 284 17.5%
  • 3

    Votes: 220 13.5%
  • 4

    Votes: 117 7.2%
  • 5+

    Votes: 235 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 9 0.6%

  • Total voters
    1,624
4 in a Waterbox 180.5

Blonde Naso
Chocolate
Purple
Yellow
 

Attachments

  • EF621854-F905-4889-B462-342ECA924628.jpeg
    EF621854-F905-4889-B462-342ECA924628.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 71
We used to have a whitecheek in our 75 gallon but we recently lost him and a lot of other fish to a velvet outbreak :( I named him Achilles because I wanted an Achilles Tang but he was too expensive so we settled on getting a whitecheek lol!
 
4 in my 150, P Blue, Orange Shoulder, Purple and Hippo.
 
125 gallons

8” Sailfin - age unknown. She was a rescue that came missing most of her dorsal and scars from head erosion. Previous owner had her for 5 years and got her from LFS in that condition. Said that’s how she came in with their shipment

3” White Cheek - pic is from QT. Have had it about a month.

3” Mimic - pic also from QT - got it at same time as the White Cheek.

And of course the bicolor foxface who was having fits when he was intro’d to QT - such a drama queen
 

Attachments

  • FA8A1534-FB25-46D8-ADBC-D03B5C39F7A2.jpeg
    FA8A1534-FB25-46D8-ADBC-D03B5C39F7A2.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 45E89F76-C38E-4866-9C67-9C7D4EC401C4.jpeg
    45E89F76-C38E-4866-9C67-9C7D4EC401C4.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 67
  • A1E620F5-BB81-4B67-8A5D-CF6F8BCEB46D.jpeg
    A1E620F5-BB81-4B67-8A5D-CF6F8BCEB46D.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 78
  • E5B7D50A-A0CD-461A-806C-6C7B7095AC4D.jpeg
    E5B7D50A-A0CD-461A-806C-6C7B7095AC4D.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 67
6 Tangs:
Maculiceps Tang
Purple Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Chocolate Mimic Tang

250 Reef Tank
 
Naso
Purple
Yellow
Powder blue
Desarjini
Blue
Sohal

all in a 300.
The Sohal might be out soon though. Had him a year a half. Starting to be too much of a bully.
 
1000 gallon tank. Four yellows, one black, one white tail, one Kole, one Chevron. When the yellows start to fight (the three big yellows and the black all gang up on the smallest yellow)... I usually find that one of my auto feeders is empty. As long as I bomb them with food all day long and re-arrange a few of the hiding places, they get along pretty well.
 
Not to go tang FBI on you haha but do you plan on rehoming or resizing your tank later ? Sailfin and Hippo will outgrow that tank eventually . The sailfin sooner then later they get massive haha

I know because I have the same tank 525xl . I only have one tang currently a Tomini Tang . I was thinking of adding a yellow or purple but have been hesitant due to my tank size and possible fighting with an established Tomini tang ... Thoughts ?
They have all been in there for almost two year.. They gotten thicker and little bit bigger but I have a ways to go. Yellow is 2". hippo is 2-3", Purple is 2-3", and sailfish is 3". Purple and Sailfin are in charge of the tank. I have plenty of hiding places and they have all stake out there areas for when the lights are out.

As for a purple or yellow, you should be fine, the tomini isn't a Zebrasoma. If you do both, I would definitely put them in at the same time.

I wouldn't mind a reefer 750.... But I doubt momma bear will approve.
 
They have all been in there for almost two year.. They gotten thicker and little bit bigger but I have a ways to go. Yellow is 2". hippo is 2-3", Purple is 2-3", and sailfish is 3". Purple and Sailfin are in charge of the tank. I have plenty of hiding places and they have all stake out there areas for when the lights are out.

As for a purple or yellow, you should be fine, the tomini isn't a Zebrasoma. If you do both, I would definitely put them in at the same time.

I wouldn't mind a reefer 750.... But I doubt momma bear will approve.
Have you ever run into any issues with your ATO sytem in your 525xl ? I don't think my ATO is functioning properly and I am not sure why . .

I disconnected the tube and its dripping water so its leaving the ATO fine . I checked my bob lever it seems to be functioning fine so I am kind of lost why its not getting the water into my tank. My salinity was up to 1.030 the other day and my levels have been all wonky for a few weeks. its getting frustrating
 
Have you ever run into any issues with your ATO sytem in your 525xl ? I don't think my ATO is functioning properly and I am not sure why . .

I disconnected the tube and its dripping water so its leaving the ATO fine . I checked my bob lever it seems to be functioning fine so I am kind of lost why its not getting the water into my tank. My salinity was up to 1.030 the other day and my levels have been all wonky for a few weeks. its getting frustrating

I ran into an issue where my float valve got buildup of some kind in it. I had to unhook the line and blow into the hose, manually moving the float valve up and down every few weeks.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top