Rock Flower Anemone - Dip in Bayer - Is it Safe?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
11,636
Reaction score
1,056
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a Rock Flower Anemone.

I do not have much experience with Nems but I Dip all my Coral in Bayer before I put them in the Tank.

My Question is is it safe to Dip a Rock Flower Anemone (Or any Anemone for that matter) in Bayer or will it Hurt or Kill them?
 
Last edited:
I would not.
 
I would also say no, nems would probably die. #reefsquad
 
Rock nems? I've diped disco mushrooms, and read others diped ricordias with no problem. If it's not attached to a rock, might not need to dip.
 
Anybody ever try Bayer (Actually Try it - A lot of people have been posting assumptions here about using it without actually doing it - I need Facts not Guesses).
 
I use Bayer everytime. It was a while back when I got my flowers but I believe I didn't dip them - same issue - was worried. I put mine in the sump for a week n kept an eye on it. Had a small rock(1/2 a golfball) each were attached to so wasn't to worried.
 

I would not.

Anybody ever try Bayer (Actually Try it - A lot of people have been posting assumptions here about using it without actually doing it - I need Facts not Guesses).




Seems to me common sense that your not going to bath an anemone in insecticide, and why would you?

You do not know what your trying to kill or eradicate specifically, but you're insulted because someone posted an opinion, really?
 
Seems to me common sense that your not going to bath an anemone in insecticide, and why would you?

You do not know what your trying to kill or eradicate specifically, but you're insulted because someone posted an opinion, really?

Well you Dip Corals in Insecticide so why not an Anemone?

Yes, maybe it is going to kill the Nem but maybe it will not.

That is why I asked the question.

I really do not know but really need to know.

People are entitled to their opinions and I do appreciate them but I really need to hear from somebody that actually tried it.

If somebody actually tried it and had no problems then I will do it.

And if they did have issues I will not do it.

I do not want to kill it so I am basing it off other peoples past experiences so I do not make any mistakes (saying others made the mistake that is because maybe it works. I don't know).
 
Last edited:
Look corals are live organisms, yes, but a nem is specifically considered an invertebrate, just like crabs. You don't do those so I recommend you not dip your nem in anything. If you're worried about the rock they're on if you leave them out of water (I squirt water over mine while it's out though) their foot should begin to loosen for you too get them off.
 
Look corals are live organisms, yes, but a nem is specifically considered an invertebrate, just like crabs. You don't do those so I recommend you not dip your nem in anything. If you're worried about the rock they're on if you leave them out of water (I squirt water over mine while it's out though) their foot should begin to loosen for you too get them off.

It will not be on a Rock so I am not worried about that.

I am worried about Flatworms being on the Anemone themselves and then getting into my Tank.

That is why I want to Dip.
 
There's no bad questions in the hobby please keep asking any questions you have.

I'm not educated in the actual science of insecticides but what I do know is bayer works by attacking the nervous systems of bugs or anything that has one. So that means we can dip our corals in it and it does no damage because corals do not have a nervous system. Nem's have one so they would die. Hope my basic understanding helps your with your question.
 
There's no bad questions in the hobby please keep asking any questions you have.

I'm not educated in the actual science of insecticides but what I do know is bayer works by attacking the nervous systems of bugs or anything that has one. So that means we can dip our corals in it and it does no damage because corals do not have a nervous system. Nem's have one so they would die. Hope my basic understanding helps your with your question.
You're correct about how Bayer works. I didn't answer this thread because I was unsure about nems having a nervous system.

So since the nem has a nervous system the Bayer would definitely kill it quickly.
 
It will not be on a Rock so I am not worried about that.

I am worried about Flatworms being on the Anemone themselves and then getting into my Tank.

That is why I want to Dip.
I have used flatworm exit as a dip on zoa for zoa eating nudibranch. I would use it during acclimation in one gallon. I used 4 drops (way more than recommended) and it had no ill effect on the corals.
 
So in my research which means Google searching the only thing I found that I think might be safe would be a seachem iodine type dip. Actually I may order some just for when my zoas are not looking great it seams like a good product.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ReefDip.html
Seems to be just like lugols. It works when corals get infections mostly. It kinda works the same way as stress coat on fish, or even like iodine works on the human body by disinfection abs promoting healing. I'm not really sure if it would kill many hitchhikers.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top