Sharkbait’s 40 Breeder Upgrade

Not that it's necessarily going to help your current predicament, but I'm looking into an ozone system for my tank as apparently it can eliminate issues with coral chemical warfare.
I should definitely do the same. This whole situation came out of nowhere, and it’s certainly frustrating, especially since this isn’t the first (and probably ain’t the last) time this has happened.
 
I should definitely do the same. This whole situation came out of nowhere, and it’s certainly frustrating, especially since this isn’t the first (and probably ain’t the last) time this has happened.
I'm going to get the Ozotech Poseidon 200 based on research and recommendations from @Sean Clark. I'm currently trying to source some titanium screws for my Nyos Quantum 160 to replace the 2 nylon ones that will deteriorate as a result (otherwise the skimmer is ozone-ready and good-to-go).
 
I'm going to get the Ozotech Poseidon 200 based on research and recommendations from @Sean Clark. I'm currently trying to source some titanium screws for my Nyos Quantum 160 to replace the 2 nylon ones that will deteriorate as a result (otherwise the skimmer is ozone-ready and good-to-go).
These are a little spendy but they are perfect for the job.
 
In other news, the nassarius seem to be happy with the tank:
image.jpg
 
In other news, the nassarius seem to be happy with the tank:
image.jpg
Dang… Now I’m glad I only went for 2 nassarius in my nano, yet to spot eggs from the 4 in my 4’ though, wonder if I got luck of the draw and my fish love the eggs. Imagine if we ate the children… oh how different the world would be!
 
Dang… Now I’m glad I only went for 2 nassarius in my nano, yet to spot eggs from the 4 in my 4’ though, wonder if I got luck of the draw and my fish love the eggs. Imagine if we ate the children… oh how different the world would be!
I’m surprised - I didn’t see it coming at all.
I figured it was common in reefs, I guess I got lucky. I’m sure all the hermits will have a feast when they hatch.
 
Haven’t updated in a while…
The corals are all doing really well, though the fish are in a rough spot. Both the clown and Hawkfish have mysteriously stopped eating prepared foods, and I have yet to figure out why. They must be eating something to continue holding out for this long.

While I was paying close attention to the DT, I sort of forgot about the quarantine tank and skipped one of the weekly water changes. Thus, ammonia rose and nearly killed everything. I did a 90% water change today and and bumped up the water oxygen level, and so far the clown and fang blenny recovered. Sadly, I don’t see the orange spot blenny making it, as he’s in pretty awful condition. I’m definitely 100% at fault here, and am simply keeping my fingers crossed that I have reversed the problem.
23616BFC-1EAB-4364-A651-44C668A00E72.jpeg
 
Haven’t updated in a while…
The corals are all doing really well, though the fish are in a rough spot. Both the clown and Hawkfish have mysteriously stopped eating prepared foods, and I have yet to figure out why. They must be eating something to continue holding out for this long.

While I was paying close attention to the DT, I sort of forgot about the quarantine tank and skipped one of the weekly water changes. Thus, ammonia rose and nearly killed everything. I did a 90% water change today and and bumped up the water oxygen level, and so far the clown and fang blenny recovered. Sadly, I don’t see the orange spot blenny making it, as he’s in pretty awful condition. I’m definitely 100% at fault here, and am simply keeping my fingers crossed that I have reversed the problem.
23616BFC-1EAB-4364-A651-44C668A00E72.jpeg
ugh! I'm so sorry. The clown and hawkfish not eating mystery is so disheartening. You know I can relate on that front. :( My cardinal went over two months with little to no eating before she perished. And even when she passed, although she was skinner, never looked emaciated. I really hope you are able to figure something out before something similar happens. Have you tried live foods?

Crossing all fingers and toes that the orange spot pulls through for you. :pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face:
 
Best of luck. I hope your orange spot pulls through. Did you test the ammonia or just speculation?
The only ammonia test that I have is api, which always reads 5.0 in saltwater no matter what, but I was kind of able to tell it was ammonia poisoning just from the behavior/appearance.
 
ugh! I'm so sorry. The clown and hawkfish not eating mystery is so disheartening. You know I can relate on that front. :( My cardinal went over two months with little to no eating before she perished. And even when she passed, although she was skinner, never looked emaciated. I really hope you are able to figure something out before something similar happens. Have you tried live foods?

Crossing all fingers and toes that the orange spot pulls through for you. :pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face::pleading-face:
I’ve seen the fish go after the amphipods in the tank, but I myself have not put in live foods. The two fish seem to express interest in eating, but never actually go after the food or swallow any. Similar to how you described your cardinal fish, neither of them seem to emaciated, but could certainly be more fat too. Moreover, both used to eat like pigs when food was present, and now they simply avoid the food. My two biggest theories are gill flukes, which I plan on starting a treatment for sometime this week, or perhaps aggression from another fish, particularly the angel.
 
I’ve seen the fish go after the amphipods in the tank, but I myself have not put in live foods. The two fish seem to express interest in eating, but never actually go after the food or swallow any. Similar to how you described your cardinal fish, neither of them seem to emaciated, but could certainly be more fat too. Moreover, both used to eat like pigs when food was present, and now they simply avoid the food. My two biggest theories are gill flukes, which I plan on starting a treatment for sometime this week, or perhaps aggression from another fish, particularly the angel.
I have a hard time believing Luxo would be affected by aggression. I feel like she would just turn full blown satan and take that angel out. Hopefully it’s something easy to treat like flukes and the treatment is effective. I think I saw you said you tried fresh water dips on them, was there any improvement after the dips, even if it went back?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top