Sirius' Rimless Shallow Mixed Reef (Singapore)

Looks like great craftmanship.
It almost feels like the tank is outside, so close to the window.

Yes indeed the tank is out in the open! In the balcony... [emoji87]
 
Just Curious ......

By setting the tank on your balcony, would it cause the tank to have excess algae growth ?
How hot and cold is the weather in Singapore ?

Hi there! Yes I had the same concerns as well which is why I installed outdoor blinds in the balcony so that there would not be any direct sunlight on the tank which would encourage algae growth.

The weather in Singapore is generally warm throughout the year.. ranging from between 24° to 34°C. We are situated near the equator so it’s almost always sunny, with no seasons. [emoji28]
 
Not to be a party pooper, but how much weight is going to be on the balcony?

It is a legitimate concern... one that I am blindly crossing my fingers on. Hopefully for the fact that this is a 18” shallow tank it would not be too heavy... [emoji848]
 
beautiful stand, tank, and sump. looking forward to seeing more...

Thank you for the kind words! I will update soonest! [emoji1]
 
Finally found the time this week to add some updates [emoji28]

Here are pictures showing the start of the piping works

9ab7c4887cf72bc03c76c5c838c22287.jpg


This piping work took about 3 weeks in total.... as it was quite complicated getting the pipes to run the way I had designed my system [emoji28]

Here's a pic of what was completed in the first sitting

10405765e872c2ec669f5dfdecbcbdff.jpg


I like how the two return pipes enter from the middle and split like a V to both ends of the tank eventually [emoji7]

e22a045f3be76833c7f94d9ad052928f.jpg
 
Apologies I uploaded two of the same photos. Here's the photo for the eventual V

a9dc787ef3169d480630d97c6524d861.jpg
 
Fast forward three weeks after that initial work, the piping was finally completed!

This is the end product! The two pipes with the ball valves are meant for the chiller in the compartment on the right, while I have three overflow pipes running on an animal bean overflow. What do u guys think? [emoji28][emoji13]

c316db2914e154630e0fabb865e4f767.jpg


3a413dd6865fd83daaf6d66a588cbbc0.jpg
 
Looking good !!!!
 
Anyway with the piping works done, it was time to fill the tank up with RODI water! [emoji38]

91fc950afd0387192b333a567efcd2c0.jpg
 
9c9f86ee621a53133ba3ec6d920e1ee4.jpg


6384ea04a85b0cc3dae2ddffdccaefb4.jpg
 
It took an entire 15 hours to get the tank fully filled... [emoji6]

8381f33618d27fc3a77b6dabdebf25b9.jpg


Now with the wave maker hooked up and running, and leak test showing good, I'd say she's ready for some salt!

Lights on and ready to receive some ocean goodness!

9936c8a87e870c1c95f51dc8f7a4cf17.jpg
 
will you be using the real thing as a light source? or is there a roof above the tank?

Yes there is a roof above the tank! It is situated in the balcony of an apartment! I am hoping that the outdoor blinds I install will prevent natural sunlight from illuminating the tank [emoji28]
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top