SPS Spotlight: Garf Bonsai (show yours off)

guess I'm just lucky I have one 6 inches under the surface right under a 400 watt halide. and have one 24 in under t5 and both look the same the pic I posted is under the halide. hey everyone's tank and corals are different
finding the sweet spot is half the fun
but some reason mine does not change
and that's cool with me
 
Got a couple sweet top down feeding by moonlight shots of the ol boy. Seems like peeps enjoy looking at the actinic shots a lot as they make color a bit cooooooooler :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130619_083616.jpg
    IMG_20130619_083616.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_20130619_083310.jpg
    IMG_20130619_083310.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_20130619_082926.jpg
    IMG_20130619_082926.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 486
I think the problem is Garf bonsai is rarely ever the true Garf Bansai anymore. Allot vendor who get a acro in that is blue with green polyps and then sell it under the name Garf Bansai. This is the most conterfited coral out there. The garf Bansai does do better under lower light, They always grew them under vho to get that color. They also incrust like mad.
 
Last edited:
I always thought that part of the identity of garf bonsai also related to its unusual growth pattern, ie. it's bonsai shape When I look at a colony, that is the first thing I look at but then I could be very wrong on this point
 
Everyone should know that ALOT of ppl don't have the "true" GARF bonsai.

Locally there are so many "GARF bonsai" it's kinda ridiculous. Mine is not the true GARF but I honestly doubt a lot of ppls are. The true GARF is a really smooth acro, almost Lokani kinda. A good relegation to species is the RR RedBull. Different colors but I think same species as the OG GARF.

Mine came from a shop called westside A couple locals just call it "westside bonsai" so I apologize for not posting a "True" bonsai but it was close.

Anyone have an OG GARF bonsai?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
+1. There are too different strains. I don't own both, but I hear that one likes very low light and the other likes very high light.
 
I don't know if this is true Garf Bonsai but the coral was sold to me as Garf Bonsai.

Here is how it grow in low light, in my dad's tank. The very right frag is the one i put in to get it to color up that deep purple color. Looks a bit different, nevertheless, same coral. In this tank, it is slow grow but color nicely.

DSC_0098.jpg


Here it is in my tank, higher light. Color up deep purple only at the tips, but grows fast.

DSC_0110.jpg
 
I think Garf Bonsai does extremely well under VHOs. Some of the best colors I have seen on this color were in VHO lit tanks...
 
Here's my Garf Bonsai

I was lucky enough to visit GARF back in 2000 when they had their coral propagation event. That was fun! Has anyone visited there recently?

Garf.jpg
 
Not a true Garf but a nice Piece I got in a trade recently. Love purple acros with green polyps! Don't mind the stupid bubble algae

 
I got mine as a bonus attached to this green acro. You think they'll merge or attack each other?
This pic was taken the day I got it, that was probably a week and a half ago, still doing great, maybe a little growth.. I think it's a little more purple now than when I got it too..
1371825858621.jpg


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

Attachments

  • 1371826287508.jpg
    1371826287508.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I was told a few years back by a local reefer that GARF had lost their entire colony of GARF Bonzai. He said they contacted him because he had gotten a piece from them and they knew he had been selling frags and they were wanting him to donate a piece to them. No glue as to the validaty of the story. I had bought a piece from him and kept it near the bottom of my T5 lit tank and it was a dark purple with green polyps. I found that it liked to do a lot of encrusting before it would start growing branches.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top