The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

I use red sea blue bucket. I mix it in 5 gallons buckets. I've never noticed any cloudiness after just a few minutes of mixing with a 250 gph pump. I add the salt a little at a time (two or three batches) to ensure alk doesn't precipitate while it mixes.

That is the same procedure that I use (just without the pump) and the next day it is quite clear with just a small residual on the bottom. The Topic Marin from a few years ago would mix clear right from the get go.

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just that there is a difference.
 
Just got a call from aqua cave letting me know that the reef actif is out of stock so my order was canceled. They said it was due in 2 weeks so we'll see. Guess I'm on hold for now
I ordered 2 which will be here today. If you want I can send you 1 to get you started if you pay me back when you get yours?
 
I’m not super scientifically inclined either…

My understanding is Reef Actif (and to a lesser extent, Bacto-Balance) feed a certain kind of beneficial bacteria. As a bonus, these products are not really accessible to the kinds of organisms we don’t want (like cyano, GHA, etc).

So, in a relatively short period of time, using these products should build up the good biome and outcompete the bad stuff.

One more bonus…these good bacteria are also good food for filter feeders like coral. Soooo using Actif may indirectly enhance coral growth and health.
I use the reef actif currently and based on recommendation of @Lou Ekus.
It enhances the growth of aquarium fauna through polymers in the salts that enhance growth and color and a result ive seen as in pics below. It also provides stronger coral tissue and skeleton strength with added buffering and ph stability

1674670821308.png

From this:
1674670974537.png


To This:
1674670839671.png
1674670858404.png
1674670895519.png
 
That is the same procedure that I use (just without the pump) and the next day it is quite clear with just a small residual on the bottom. The Topic Marin from a few years ago would mix clear right from the get go.

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just that there is a difference.
I only mix the Red Sea salt for about an hour before I use it. It is generally clear within minutes. I suppose something could settle out if I let it sit without circulation overnight. I've just never done it.
 
I only mix the Red Sea salt for about an hour before I use it. It is generally clear within minutes. I suppose something could settle out if I let it sit without circulation overnight. I've just never done it.

I just mix it for a few short minutes and then put the lid on the bucket, so I can't say when it actually clears up. But by the next day, it's fine.

What I see persist is a small amount of fine white granules on the bucket bottom, which is possibly calcium carbonate precipitate. Based on testing, Alk & Ca are close to the manufacturers stated values, so it's not a concern.

All-in-all I'm quite satisfied with the RS salt for my small mixed reef.
 
I just received Reef Actif and will use on my two oldest tanks. Glad we have a protocoal link because dosage information on bottle was not in English. I felt that the incremental steps were to slow and I will scale up 50% faster. At 75 years old, I have only so much time left to live.

Each tank is on 14 hr opposite light cycle with an hour overlapping each side. The 120 on the left was turned on momentarily for FTS picture. I will clean glass on this tank before the next picture so sandbed and rocks can be seen clearly.

PS. Help. What page is link for dosing protochol.

image.jpg
 
I just received Reef Actif and will use on my two oldest tanks. Glad we have a protocoal link because dosage information on bottle was not in English. I felt that the incremental steps were to slow and I will scale up 50% faster. At 75 years old, I have only so much time left to live.

Each tank is on 14 hr opposite light cycle with an hour overlapping each side. The 120 on the left was turned on momentarily for FTS picture. I will clean glass on this tank before the next picture so sandbed and rocks can be seen clearly.

PS. Help. What page is link for dosing protochol.

image.jpg
Page 11 , post#210
 
Page 11 , post#210
 
E7DFC405-893E-4F6C-9487-BF0FC703555A.jpeg

@Subsea there is two pages if you peel the label out. I believe the Facebook dosage is not by tropic marine.
 
(Add one level measuring spoon of Tropic Marin® Reef Actif to 500 litres/132 US gallons of aquarium water each week. Stir the powder into a small amount of aquarium water and then add it to the aquarium to distribute it as finely as possible.
Maximum dosage: One measuring spoon per 500 litres/132 US gallons of aquarium water three times a week.)

(Tropic Marin® Reef Actif can be used with all other products of the Tropic Marin® Bio-Actif-System with no concern for overdosing of organic substances.)

I copied & pasted directions from corporate website And will start at I level teaspoon for 150G system at 3 times a week. On 5 year old tank as it is limping along.

My 75G 25 year mature tank will get half that dosage three times a week. Because of the diversity of filter feeders already in this tank, I will continue dosing an 8 ounce cup of phytoplankton three times a week. I consider phyto a type of carbon dosing and dose during daylight hours so that inorganic nutrients are absorbed during daylight until phyto is consumed by filter feeders.

So dose Reef Actif at night and phyto during the day.

PS: Tropic Marine USA preferred dealers. http://www.tropicmarin-usa.com/preferred-dealers.html
 
Last edited:
(Add one level measuring spoon of Tropic Marin® Reef Actif to 500 litres/132 US gallons of aquarium water each week. Stir the powder into a small amount of aquarium water and then add it to the aquarium to distribute it as finely as possible.
Maximum dosage: One measuring spoon per 500 litres/132 US gallons of aquarium water three times a week.)

(Tropic Marin® Reef Actif can be used with all other products of the Tropic Marin® Bio-Actif-System with no concern for overdosing of organic substances.)

I copied & pasted directions from corporate website And will start at I level teaspoon for 150G system at 3 times a week. On 5 year old tank as it is limping along.

My 75G 25 year mature tank will get half that dosage three times a week. Because of the diversity of filter feeders already in this tank, I will continue dosing an 8 ounce cup of phytoplankton three times a week. I consider phyto a type of carbon dosing and dose during daylight hours so that inorganic nutrients are absorbed during daylight until phyto is consumed by filter feeders.

PS: Tropic Marine USA preferred dealers. http://www.tropicmarin-usa.com/preferred-dealers.html
That’s how I use it, I believe the Facebook dosing chart was made by the author and it may be suitable for folks that want to be more cautious doing changes.
 
Does anyone know how many level spoons are in this or how much a spoon holds? Turns out 1 spoon is just about perfect for our system but wondering how long one will last.
 
Does anyone know how many level spoons are in this or how much a spoon holds? Turns out 1 spoon is just about perfect for our system but wondering how long one will last.
In my scales is showing 3 grams per level spoon.
 
In my scales is showing 3 grams per level spoon.
So, a $20 bottle at 60g will last for 20 application at 3 times a week equates to one $20 60g bottle every 7 weeks. That’s cheaper than salt used for water change which I do not do.
 
that is a huge cost compared to not using it at all. that breakdown for a normal size tank really puts it in perspective

so it comes down to only two potential benefits I can discern, should someone want to invest in this annual cost forever: less overall tank algae or more coral growth. that's the only two benefits I can imagine from getting 'on' the product.

I'm not positive that someone with ok coral growth wants more/faster growth, I'm already throwing away corals when they grow because no one here wants unmounted frags. faster growth won't help me, it would be the algae control if any.

that's a significant cost step up every 7 weeks compared to not getting on it at all, I see this as a con vs a pro. I guess if a problem large invaded tank paid for that additive every couple months to be algae free it might be worth it, but removing the sandbed from a tank doesn't cost anything and we have fifty pages of that working well/already documented great at reducing algae.

we can clearly show without a doubt using a huge collection of other peoples tanks as well as future tanks about to be added this year, that sandbed filth is a major contributor to algae problems. We find that removing things vs buying things gets the fifty pages of wins at no cost $

this stuff better grow coral like steroids.

my reef wouldn't consume the additive anywhere near you guys with the large reefs would command but it sure needs to do something decisive to justify that annual cost, for sure, for big tankers.
 
Brandon,
Its a hobby not a business that I need to justify my cost.

Scale 132G down to 14G nano and the cost for nuisance algae elimination using “bug power” is $2 every 7 weeks. That cost is at maximum doseage
 
Last edited:
So, a $20 bottle at 60g will last for 20 application at 3 times a week equates to one $20 60g bottle every 7 weeks. That’s cheaper than salt used for water change which I do not do.
I think the 60 grams is ok for folks that just want to try it out, for a continuous dosing the 300 grams (uk is 60$) seems be the better alternative economically as you get 5 times the 60 grams. At minimum dosage the 300g will give 100 weeks, just 4 weeks short of 2 years supply on a 132 gallon or one full year at 2 spoons per week and if it reduces the need for GAC it probably end up not doing much different in the year budget.
 
Last edited:
So, a $20 bottle at 60g will last for 20 application at 3 times a week equates to one $20 60g bottle every 7 weeks. That’s cheaper than salt used for water change which I do not do.
Thanks for that!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top