To mud or not to mud that is the question...

Yes or no to a Miracle Mud based sump.


  • Total voters
    27
The guy behind the miracle mud, I think his name is leng sye, would probably be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. He is very responsive to email, and I spoke to him several times when I purchased the sump and mud from him.
 
This truly is one topic with two diehard camps... MAN. The thing that gets me is that this product has been around for more than 20 years. If something is around that long in the hobby and has the following of big names that it does I would think it have some clout. I am curious to hear from some more users.
I can think of many things for sale today that are junk and have been sold for 20 years. I cannot give opinion on miracle mud, however i can say that its time on the market should play no role in consideration for purchase
 
I can think of many things for sale today that are junk and have been sold for 20 years. I cannot give opinion on miracle mud, however i can say that its time on the market should play no role in consideration for purchase
That is a great point. I wasn't really relying on that but it was a comfort thing.
 
I love Miracle Mudd! It totally turned my tank around. I run all of my tanks with it including my 29g bc! It really makes things very stable!
 
1824032d32806192b770d1284444c0fa.jpg
 
Nope. No sand or mud. If I did it again I'd fill that chamber with ceramic bio media balls and done.
 
I use MM- but put it in plastic ziploc bowls so replacing it would be easy... I also have a lot of dirty fish and never have issues with nitrates. My pods are very healthy and so are my corals
 
For miracle mud users with experience: I have about 5-7lbs left of miracle mud from a 10lb bag that has been sitting on my "aquarium junk" shelf (wife's word choice, not mine). It has been sitting there for about 2 years, and when I put it there I first squeezed all the air out of the bag and put a clip on the bag to keep it shut. Would this still be useful? Would it be drastically different than a new bag? Is it safe to put in my sump, or must I buy a new bag?

I used miracle mud for about 2 years in my system but that area of my sump became a total nitrate trap (bad design on my part), and I took it out about 2 years ago. Now I am planning to encorporate a better design on a new remote refugium and would like to use this mud as substrate (maybe with a small layer of sand on top, isnt this recommended by ecoststems?).

When I used it years ago it didn't cause any problems (I did not see any amazing benefit either), but it was wonderful for pods and the tiny life in a refugium, which appeared to really thrive in it. Would like to give it a try again. Thanks for the help!
 
What a great thread! :)
New member, not a new reefer.
My system runs 550 litre / 138 G water volume, 700 litre overall.
The tank is 9 months old and the sump runs 2 heaters and 2 return pumps.
The sump contains 4 trays of mineral mud (England, what my lfs stocks), a refugium with 3 or 4 macro algaes, naturalised sponge, 5 baby mangroves and has a full CUC.
I don't run filter socks or floss.
Last water change was about 3 months ago and I top up 8 litres / 2 gallons ro manually half morning, half evening, I dose kh cal and mag manually, currently 13 ml liquid kh buffer in a shot in the morning and the other 2 when I remember.
I also dose 3 drops of Iodine manually each morning.
14 (small) fish and I have been feeding a bit more recently.

My tank has never been tested for nitrates or phosphates.
I do test kh weekly and cal and mag about once a month.

When I designed the tank a lot of thought went in to how I could run it as naturally as possible, pic below is the display end viewed from my desk, it is 300 litres / 75 G and the "other" end is 200 litres / 50 G.
The other end houses lots of fast growing palys and mushrooms, various other corals and my 2 nems.

I guess it could fall over at any point but if I had to start again tomorrow I would still add the mud! :)

 
For miracle mud users with experience: I have about 5-7lbs left of miracle mud from a 10lb bag that has been sitting on my "aquarium junk" shelf (wife's word choice, not mine). It has been sitting there for about 2 years, and when I put it there I first squeezed all the air out of the bag and put a clip on the bag to keep it shut. Would this still be useful? Would it be drastically different than a new bag? Is it safe to put in my sump, or must I buy a new bag?

It'll be fine. Soak it first before putting into fuge. Just my recommendation.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top