Was It Right Of Neptune?

Exactly - that would be amazing. Like a backup power solution (that's affordable and safe) that's compatible with any pump. Surely it can't be that difficult - arrggghh.

You should be able to buy any pump - it should not come with a controller (which should reduce the price of the pump). You should just be able to connect it into any Controller - like Apex or eKoral. There should be a variety of of batteries that plug into that controller. When the power goes out your return pump should just keep going (on power saving mode).

I see so much of the people in this hobby had awesome DIY skillz but I wish I'd have know it was so important. If someone like eKoral does what you are talking about Mitch I think it will rapidly open up this hobby to a lot more people and that'd be better for everyone.

That is the idea to allow more innovation and collaboration. Existing platforms I feel personally could implement an interface into their existing controller offerings that would communicate with other device like a bridge between their platform and the "industry standard" and do whatever translations within their codebase to the standard for functionality to work. At that point, in your example a controller for the pump would be completely an optional purchase (similar to how you can buy the Gyre pump without the controller).
 
That is the idea to allow more innovation and collaboration. Existing platforms I feel personally could implement an interface into their existing controller offerings that would communicate with other device like a bridge between their platform and the "industry standard" and do whatever translations within their codebase to the standard for functionality to work. At that point, in your example a controller for the pump would be completely an optional purchase (similar to how you can buy the Gyre pump without the controller).

I'd love to see controllers and ancillary equipment vendors support an open standard. Sadly, at the moment they seem to be going in opposite directions as everyone wants to try and build their own ecosystems, supporting their own products/certification standards etc.

Not what's best for the customer, unfortunately.

I understand why the first reaction is to control, not least so they can certify that things work, but I think an open standard would boost innovation also.
 
That is the idea to allow more innovation and collaboration. Existing platforms I feel personally could implement an interface into their existing controller offerings that would communicate with other device like a bridge between their platform and the "industry standard" and do whatever translations within their codebase to the standard for functionality to work. At that point, in your example a controller for the pump would be completely an optional purchase (similar to how you can buy the Gyre pump without the controller).

I think an open standard, or any standard protocol in this hobby, would be highly beneficial. Unfortunately everyone wants to make proprietary items.

Just my opinion, but I do not ever see a return pump (dc), or any device needing control, being offered with an optional controller. The only reason the gyre is offered without one is because the controller can support 2 gyres. So you already bought the controller.

Just how people said "Neptune is a business and releasing a whole package is the business model," making people pay for that controller makes more money for that product. Whether you use that controller may be optional, but getting it separate... probably not.

These are things that would benefit the consumer. You're thinking rationally. You have to irrationally think from the "I want to suck as much money as possible" viewpoint, lol. ;)
 
I think an open standard, or any standard protocol in this hobby, would be highly beneficial. Unfortunately everyone wants to make proprietary items.

Just my opinion, but I do not ever see a return pump (dc), or any device needing control, being offered with an optional controller. The only reason the gyre is offered without one is because the controller can support 2 gyres. So you already bought the controller.

Just how people said "Neptune is a business and releasing a whole package is the business model," making people pay for that controller makes more money for that product. Whether you use that controller may be optional, but getting it separate... probably not.

These are things that would benefit the consumer. You're thinking rationally. You have to irrationally think from the "I want to suck as much money as possible" viewpoint, lol. ;)


Honestly think there would be more money to be made if there was a standard applied. Think about how many people do not have controllers in the hobby right now. Now think of all their current devices were already compatible with an Apex. Wouldn’t you think that would make it easier for them to invest in the Apex head unit for control?
 
Honestly think there would be more money to be made if there was a standard applied. Think about how many people do not have controllers in the hobby right now. Now think of all their current devices were already compatible with an Apex. Wouldn’t you think that would make it easier for them to invest in the Apex head unit for control?
100% Think of all the people who wanted to get into reefing who think it's too difficult. Maybe they want to upgrade from freshwater.
More people would mean more income for the providers and reefers would be much more likely to buy a new piece of equipment if it was compatible. If I want a companies battery but am forced to buy their pump I'm put off - I don't want to support that support of company.
 
100% Think of all the people who wanted to get into reefing who think it's too difficult. Maybe they want to upgrade from freshwater.
More people would mean more income for the providers and reefers would be much more likely to buy a new piece of equipment if it was compatible. If I want a companies battery but am forced to buy their pump I'm put off - I don't want to support that support of company.

Agree totally; specially on the battery deal. I had one of my Ecotech batteries take a crap on me and just won't replace it. I am gonna go a different direction altogether for backup power. Decision would have been different if I could have purchased a replacement battery for it. Now that to me is ridiculous. So because my battery won't hold a charge anymore means that the entire unit is now useless?!?

That my friends is not the way you do business, and that is for any company that prevents you from replacing something as simple as a battery (Apple anyone!).
 
While I think it might have been nice, I really don't know about Neptune's production capacity, their projected demand on release, the inventory on release, the actual demand vs internal projections, vendor pre-orders (if any), their competitive intelligence strategy on releases/products, the customer support capacity, the potential warranty support impact, the needed capital return for stakeholders vs the RD budget timeframe.... it goes on and on.

Without knowing all the considerations that go into new products I don't feel that I can make the call if it was "right" to offer packages 1st. It may not be convenient for me but that is another story.
 
Agree totally; specially on the battery deal. I had one of my Ecotech batteries take a crap on me and just won't replace it. I am gonna go a different direction altogether for backup power. Decision would have been different if I could have purchased a replacement battery for it. Now that to me is ridiculous. So because my battery won't hold a charge anymore means that the entire unit is now useless?!?

That my friends is not the way you do business, and that is for any company that prevents you from replacing something as simple as a battery (Apple anyone!).

You realize you can just open it up and replace the battery right?

EcoTech has some pretty amazing service, the only company I know of who sells the parts for customers to upgrade lights and pumps. Sorry they don’t sell the battery, but they probably have some reason, even if they think it’s dump. Some shipping restriction, some lawyer said no, prior mishap, etc.

If you feel it’s something you should be able to replace yourself, meaning you are comfortable opening the unit and doing so, then just open it and find a matching battery.
 
As a friend of mine always says ..... The wonderful thing about standards is there's so many to choose from. Always cracks me up because it's both funny and true. At the end of the day, the market decides if something survives as a standard/platform. Anyone remember HD-DVD?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top