What could cause my monti cap to do this

ok thankyou will keep in mond tonight

When you do look very closely at the underside of the edges. To me the damage does not appear to be from monti nudibranch.
I had this same issue happen to my monti cap when my nutrients became severely out of balance. Caused a near complete sps die-off in my system.
 
Other than nudibranch's, I've seen this happen with my green cap. The only thing I can think of why it happened was I blew off my rocks with my flow off for a while and debris landed on it. For what ever reason it caused some die off. It stopped and has taken some time to heal.
 
When you do look very closely at the underside of the edges. To me the damage does not appear to be from monti nudibranch.
I had this same issue happen to my monti cap when my nutrients became severely out of balance. Caused a near complete sps die-off in my system.

underside of the edges I have cut? or all edges of the monti cap. I didnt think nudis just because the area was justy all of a sudden dead as well as no other montis are effected yet.
 
High phosphate almost killed my green monti & did kill a couple other montis. is yours .21? Thats high... but word to the wise, lower it very slowly!
 
dang i dosed it wrong i meant to take half of 3drops...its not the first time it will drop this much
 
underside of the edges I have cut? or all edges of the monti cap. I didnt think nudis just because the area was justy all of a sudden dead as well as no other montis are effected yet.

I would concentrate near the area that was damaged. Maybe give a quick look at the rest of what you are able to do. Again I really don't think nudis are your issue but looking for them would ease part of the worries. My experience with the nudi is they always start at the edge and work inward.
I like to keep my phosphate at .02ppm. I would slowly work yours down if possible.
 
No chance of saltcreep. The frags I made also are having this same issue of releasing the skin per say.
 
To me this has to be a water quality issue that this monti does not like. Wouldn't nudis eat the coral instead of making the coral become stringy with the flesh flowing off?
 
Some good and bad news. I stayed up last night and observed...nothing that I could see. So this morning I noticed the coral was not peeling but the part nearest to the purple cap was. So I decided to just break the coral off of that rock so it had nothing to do with that rock anymore lol. In the process I broke the coral into 3 pieces. The large part, a cone shape and a bottom plate. Well I ended up attaching the coral back to the bottom rock it was sitting on. But before I did I siphoned out the sand beneath lol. So the coral is now looking dumb because its not as big but it is oriented different and hasabout 3 in before it gets close to the rock with the purple monti on it again. So I decided to take the medium sized flat piece and just place it on the ground for now. The smaller piece has the best color so I took it dipped it(nothing came out) scrubbed it and is now sitting in my new reef tank. It was a good starting place for the monti. Hopefully it all works out now. I figure the monti that is still attached the the purple cap rock will die.
 
Hopefully it all works out for you! Of all corals I have kept, caps have responded to low potassium more than any other coral. Spots like yours > low potassium > dose some > coral recovers. Not the worst thing to add to the test kit collection.
 
My phosphate got to .25 before I knew something was wrong & I almost lost a green cap that was the size of a small melon, and did lose a mystic & a rainbow that were growing like crazy the months before. Then I dropped my phosphate too rapidly (to .04 in 48hrs) and wound up killing 80% of the rest of my SPS ($$$$$). Losing the montis hurt, but the others REALLY hurt. Lower it slowly.

Green cap is starting to come back now though.
 
I will get a phosphate reading now. It seems like i didn't drop it too much cause my monti seems to be doing ok since I fragged it up as well as everything else seems ok. The tank is cloudy...Partly due to me cleaning all the 5in of coraline algae that has accumulated on the front and side panels on acrylic... also am taking all sand out is also a reason for getting rid of the coraline lol.
 
I didn't read the whole thread, sorry. I had a couple of montis that start losing color in the middle like that, wound up being my potassium was pretty low. It took a month or two after correcting it but the color eventually came back.
 
So I got my salinity up to 1.025 and my phosphate is .08 So it did drop a lot but it is not at 0 so its not starving and hopefully that was not a huge drop.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top