What have you done to your system today?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dapple
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I love my hobby, plus I'm a authorized dealer of ecotech. The couple of them I have, I have neve seen anything like them there awesome. My 800 DT, will need em lol.

That's cool, dealer pricing should help!your tank will be a sight to see.
 
Demand for me to build systems from word of mouth. I've been in the hobby so long I don't remember what it's like not have reef tank,lol. To answer your question.. Because I have had the reef addiction and it won't ever go away lol. The more the better.
 
Well Justin, when I have it all complete ( and I'm not treated as a stepchild to our club) I will be more than happy to have club meetings here. When its finished, I would love to have the club share my setup experience, and my blessing to be able to have such a setup. because of my wonderful wife that allows 2 hobbies. Sadly to say for some reason I'm sure only a few would show up. But I hope u show up. I have always believed that this hobby is for fun and sharing. That is why I am sinking so much money into my setup and coral selection. I would like to be able to share with members, so that way "All" can enjoy high end corals.... Plus I love to learn more and more about reefing everyday! The tighter the reef community the better the hobby experience for everyone.
 
Well Mel,

Fortunately, I have interaction with a lot of people daily, and am blessed with a great job. With all that and close friends of mine, tell people they know that they like my reef tanks and have seen some tanks I have done. Word of mouth of that and i get calls. A set up ranges from DT, to full DT,sump, and all of the accessories. Lights, power heads and maintenance. What I charge depends on the setup.

When I see how happy people are after I am complete, it's great because then the reefing community grows and it shares how great reefing can be.
 
Well Justin, when I have it all complete ( and I'm not treated as a stepchild to our club) I will be more than happy to have club meetings here. When its finished, I would love to have the club share my setup experience, and my blessing to be able to have such a setup. because of my wonderful wife that allows 2 hobbies. Sadly to say for some reason I'm sure only a few would show up. But I hope u show up. I have always believed that this hobby is for fun and sharing. That is why I am sinking so much money into my setup and coral selection. I would like to be able to share with members, so that way "All" can enjoy high end corals.... Plus I love to learn more and more about reefing everyday! The tighter the reef community the better the hobby experience for everyone.

I hope we can have a meeting there. I'm sure all would be interested to see the new setup.
 
Darren, if you get a blue hippo I'll come smack you. Hah hah.

Seriously though, if you want a hippo at least invest in a UV sterilizer beforehand so that when it gets ich, which it WILL, you can turn on the UV right away and help stop ich from reeking havoc on your other fish.
 
So is it pretty much any tang other than zebrasoma sp that are ich magnets? I've not had any problems with ich from my yellow tang. I'd love to have a hippo tang myself, but I'm not willing to risk it. I need a bigger tank for one also.
 
Actually not at all! There's loads of tangs that aren't ich magnets. My favorite is the Kole. But most of the blue ones are definitely ichy. Blue hippos and powder blue/brown/Achilles are the worst about getting ich.

I always tell people it's not whether or not these tangs will get ich...it's WHEN they'll get it because it's only a matter of time.

When I worked at a store I didn't tell people NOT to get these tangs, I just wanted them to have UV and garlic at the ready because they really help. Some people have their hearts set on these fish and I don't want to burst their bubble about it. I just wanted to help them keep the fish responsibly.
 
I've got my tank full of tangs, and never had ick. I have three hippos, one naso, one blue eye tang (like a kole), leutennant tang, and a desjardini tang. I've got a cleaner wrasse, and although some people argue that they don't help tangs with ick, they do seem to spend a lot of time getting cleaned.
 
Darren, if you get a blue hippo I'll come smack you. Hah hah.

Seriously though, if you want a hippo at least invest in a UV sterilizer beforehand so that when it gets ich, which it WILL, you can turn on the UV right away and help stop ich from reeking havoc on your other fish.
Aren't there disadvantages to a UV sterilizer? Don't they kill beneficial bacteria or something like that?
 
Spencer, a UV sterilizer will only be effective on free floating organisms that get pushed through the unit. Ozone is more effective, but considerably more expensive. Ozone will kill me stuff in your tank that a UV sterilizer, simply because it is actually attached to the molecules of the water and touches everything in the tank. That said, that's the reason you use an Redox controller and ORP probe to keep from "overdosing" the tank with ozone.

Mel, I was just wondering because I keep hearing people say every tang I would really like to have are ich magnets. Of course, the tangs I want are pretty much the ones you named! Lol. I've pretty much given up on having another tang since I only have a 120. Seems like the only tangs I want require a much bigger tank also. I'm packing my tank full of corals right now. Well, I'm packing it full of frags that will grow and MAKE it packed! I think I may be done with SPS in that tank. I've run out of room to put anything else in the top 1/3 or half of the tank. Time to start with some more LPS for the bottom now.
 
When I worked at a store I didn't tell people NOT to get these tangs, I just wanted them to have UV and garlic at the ready because they really help. Some people have their hearts set on these fish and I don't want to burst their bubble about it. I just wanted to help them keep the fish responsibly.

I have no problems now, but just in case.... are you talking about buying fresh garlic cloves? How do you reccomend preparing and feeding? I just wonder if they will eat fresh, pure garlic, or if it has to be ground up and put in other food, or what.

I'm still making the squid/shrimp frozen food here at home. Since I have a lot of tangs, I'm starting to add some nori sheets to it. I also usually have some clipped into the tank for them to feed on. Maybe I will start adding some garlic to the frozen food. I hear it's good for them, as far as color and disease immunity. What do you think, 4 cloves for a blender full of food?
 
Actually I have been very successful with heavy garlic feeding if a tang gets ick, after 2 weeks......gone
 
Scraped all the glass with a blade, lost a fish (eaten by coral banded shrimp), and got things ready for a change over tomorrow.
 
Culled my Xenia forest. Have a bunch of Xenia to sell/trade now. LOL

Sent from my Incredible using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app
 
Got my radion programmed. Added a bunch of new coral. Ich is gone. Garlic handled it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top