600 Gallon Hawaiian Reef Addiction

Wow.
Just curious how many tanks have you built. You appear to have a ton of lessons learned implemented here. Very nice. Can't wait to see the display
 
Wow.
Just curious how many tanks have you built. You appear to have a ton of lessons learned implemented here. Very nice. Can't wait to see the display

I have built maybe 3 or 4 much smaller systems in the 30-90 gallon range. This was my first big build. There was a lot of planning and so far I am very pleased with the way it has turned out. Thanks for your comment. I will update the system very soon!
 
WOW! Those are some exceptionally nice Hawaiian livestock additions you have going in, CONGRATS!

Cheers, Todd
 
That aqua scape makes me wanna do my whole tank over where u get the tonga??

I bought it years ago probably in 2006-2007 range. I had it in a couple smaller systems which I tore down a long time ago and it been sitting in storage ever since. I love the way the fish are swimming and using the rock structure. They are acting the same way I have seen them in the wild. Just what I was aiming for!!
 
this is a freakin ridiculous system I love it keep the pictures coming :bounce:
 
Hey everyone! I hope everyone has had a wonderful holiday season so far! Here is a quick update on some things I was able to get done with a few days off and some pictures of the livestock!

I have added two 15 gallon drums. One will be a saltwater holding tank, which I will use to add saltwater to the system when I receive livestock due to the loss of water when drip acclimating. The other is a kalk holding bin which is set to drip 1 drop per 2 seconds into the system. Have hooked up my r.o unit to a 30 gallon bin which will store fresh water. The bin is also hooked up to a float valve which will top off the tank when needed. It is also hooked up to a 60 gallon bin that is inlined with the system so when I do water changes I can just pump water out of the r.o. storage into the mixing bin without having to move the r. o line. I have also redone the electrical in the garage and added a shelf for storage. I will be adding a refugium, "it was supposed to be installed tonight" but I cracked the tank when attempting to dill holes for the bulk heads. Good thing the tank wasn't very expensive. I will now probably use an acrylic tank which know won't crack when drilling. Here are some updated pictures!

Updated Picture of the Garage System 12/26/13
IMG_8283_zps98eab6ff.jpg


Side View 12/26/13
IMG_8284_zpsb3b8c863.jpg


Frag Tanks 12/24/13
IMG_8195_zps8860cc30.jpg


My Lovely Golden Rhomboid.
IMG_8200_zps89ae47c0.jpg


Newly Added Blue line Angel
IMG_8201_zpsa5d38ed9.jpg


SPS Display 12/26/13
IMG_8269_zpsdb5df602.jpg


Flame Wrasse Pair
IMG_8147_zps2d4cd733.jpg


Tinkeri/Burgessii Pair
IMG_8073_zps215820f6.jpg


Heres something cool! When I showed one of my good friends a picture of my newly required Chaetodon Butterfly, he believed it could be a true flavocoronatus. If it was maybe one of the only ones in the states. When finding this out I had to ask the experts. It has been decided that it is a Chaetodon tinkeri/flavocoronatus. Probably first generation due to the almost completely yellow second band which only flavocornatus have. The fish is still very small "only 2.5" and i am very excited to see what happens when it starts maturing!
IMG_8182_zps48281c5a.jpg
 
Wow very special build!
 
Quick up date,

I had to remove the burgessi/tinkeri hybrids. They went coral crazy. I knew there was a good chance they would but I had to give it a shot. I added 2 new frags to the display. Both are strawberry shortcakes. One is a redder version and the other the more common greenish with pink tips. Pics are below. I hope to start the install of the in wall tank later this week! Looking forward to getting that connected to the system!

IMG_8315_zpsb5e7deb3.jpg


IMG_8316_zps5a03d3f5.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top