80 Gallon Deep Blue Build (48x24x16)

Ammonia depends on how much dead stuff is in the rock. You'll want to check nitrite, too. I personally wouldn't run the lights yet but would run the skimmer.

There is 0 nitrite.

Thank you. I think I’m gonna put a piece of shrimp in tonight.
 
The sump is easier to work on and upgrade equipment. The skimmer I have was too tall for under the stand as well.

I have 2X Ai Hydra 26s.

Depending what you plan on growing, going to need alot more than that
 
Oh, and a fish room! I'm just realizing I'm a total idiot for not thinking to incorporate a fish room in my current build. Dang.

Easy access to the sump and plumbing from all angles, without having to crouch, kneel, squeeze into a tiny space or break your back....? Yes, please! I can already tell that performing any task within my stand is going to be a nightmare.
 
Oh, and a fish room! I'm just realizing I'm a total idiot for not thinking to incorporate a fish room in my current build. Dang.

Easy access to the sump and plumbing from all angles, without having to crouch, kneel, squeeze into a tiny space or break your back....? Yes, please! I can already tell that performing any task within my stand is going to be a nightmare.

Oh yeah. And I feel like I didn’t put enough unions. However because the sump is easy access it’s easy to replace if needed.

And thank you, I went barn board so I would not have to worry about making clean lines and polished corners. Lol.
 
If you say so! Goodluck

I will most certainly acquire a par meter and ensure we have the correct values there. However, that being said there are plenty of studies on par and what sps actually need and thrive in.

I’ve seen setups with a few sps corals using hydra 26s doing great. It’s not all one particular need that allows sps to thrive. Flow, water chemistry,and lighting all play factors.

But, we will cross that bridge when we get there.
 
I will most certainly acquire a par meter and ensure we have the correct values there. However, that being said there are plenty of studies on par and what sps actually need and thrive in.

I’ve seen setups with a few sps corals using hydra 26s doing great. It’s not all one particular need that allows sps to thrive. Flow, water chemistry,and lighting all play factors.

But, we will cross that bridge when we get there.

No doubt, I think once you check your readings with a par meter you’ll see i am correct! I have 4 radions xr15 pros and its ok not great par ok
 
I will most certainly acquire a par meter and ensure we have the correct values there. However, that being said there are plenty of studies on par and what sps actually need and thrive in.

I’ve seen setups with a few sps corals using hydra 26s doing great. It’s not all one particular need that allows sps to thrive. Flow, water chemistry,and lighting all play factors.

But, we will cross that bridge when we get there.
With a 16" deep tank I'm assuming you will have plenty of light, sometimes the problem is spread so for that reason you could always add a 3rd hydra
 
702186628b763aa7c6463381392fa3b5.jpg


Starting off the right way!!! QT set ready. Filter busy collecting good bacteria in the sump!!
 
Great setup! I heard that deep blue was going out of buisness. Supposedly gonna finish out building tanks with whatever glass they have and close? I hope someone else steps up to make these tanks in these dimensions as I would like to have one! Or maybe the rumor mill is wrong.

Either way, great tank! Looks like you're off to a great start!
 
I don't think you'll have any issues with 2 hydras they are great lights. I feel like people vastly overestimate the amount of light most lps and softies need. :)
And great start with the QT tank, what kind of fish are you planning?
 
I don't think you'll have any issues with 2 hydras they are great lights. I feel like people vastly overestimate the amount of light most lps and softies need. :)
And great start with the QT tank, what kind of fish are you planning?

I may get roasted for this but here goes. I really don't have a plan, however, the fish I would like to see are;

2x Clowns (not sure design)
2x Cleaner Shrimp
1x Starfish (not sure of breed)
CUC Blue and Red Hermits with snails. *Please Advise*
TBDx Anenome BTA
5x Chromis
1x Fire Fish
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Yellow Tang
1x Fox Face
1x Mandarin or Flame Angel
1x Kole Tang or Powder Blue Tang

Again, not sure of a 100% list.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0

Slow process and have been feeding tank pretty steady two or three times a day and using stability.
 
NO3/4 1.0, Nitrite .50, Nitrate 4ppm. Does anyone know why my ammonia is only 1.0? It’s the API kit.
 
d4e6ef3e6a84de185554d32fcc3fcb44.jpg


I have a feeling my tank may have cycled. Is it okay to test the cycle and add 2ppm of ammonia and wait 24 hours?

I am about 2 weeks in and I have seen my ammonia go to 1ppm and come back to .25 (API test hard to read) could be zero.

Nitrite is back to 0 after being at about .50

Nitrate is at about 4ppm max out. (Ignore the chart I fixed it from 5 to 4 after closer look)

All tests were API the nitrate was tested with both API and RedSea.

For the first 7 days I used Seachem Stability and ghost fed for about 13 or so days heavy. I have diatoms and green hair starting. I am thinking the stability processed the ammonia and the only reason I saw a small spike was I was feeding really heavy. Thoughts?

1662c68c3a536051b8b44f701b98e163.jpg


28b895a52a658d30df8a3032978f945b.jpg


b8b4a80cba993d21349dbd175c809e3a.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top