Crabs 155g In-Wall Fish Room Build

I've be in the workshop working on an Aquascape the last few days. The last of the water weld and epoxy is drying now.. enjoy the pics and let me know what you think!

8d9b439d2dbca9da87e627628cfa59fa.jpg


e210552b5693448a379e439dcc227c2f.jpg


5725df4ef488ae1ebc5ddfd981fdf3d2.jpg


62167d52b0f332a572e3139e17269d62.jpg


f8e13d0f05622946facee676b30acb68.jpg


97c209658232f041babf338206064869.jpg


4ca1479fbe1540f6d87c955f3048d74e.jpg


e73775b55dfeb7307450489cc480663c.jpg
Bump.. what are peoples thoughts and feedback before I start curing!
 
Last edited:
I think it looks great, I like the overhung shelf look and the almost lagoon like structure I say go for it!
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback!
 
So I finished up running the electrical conduit and wire for two dedicated 20a circuits and two audible GFCI outlets for which all of the other outlets and protected by.

Threw up some drywall but still have the ceiling to do. Waiting for a buddy to come give me a hand Friday to knock it out.

Then the worst part... mudding and taping...

17397e0fb06d0f7c6e2055b1ec95bba7.jpg
 
Made a big change and a step in the right direction today! Before I spoil it without any pictures to show, I'll get the mess cleaned up and some pictures taken!
 
I love your scape. I might have to invest in some epoxy
Thank you. I used a standard clear epoxy for some of the troublesome rock connections and some EP-200 Epoxy putty.

Only downside is the dry color is grey but it will eventually be covered in coraline anyway.

$3/stick is worth the color though!
 
Made a big change and a step in the right direction today! Before I spoil it without any pictures to show, I'll get the mess cleaned up and some pictures taken!
a3f2d583263edfea3e7e29a3b2219243.jpg


We removed the wall between the finished basement area and fish room where the main display will sit.

Mudding and taping is still required. Once that is done and the room is painted, the tanks will be moved in!
 
Last edited:
So jealous of the whole fish room setup. Very nice! Now that I see your configuration I understand your questions in my build thread.
I'd suggest a small (even 1.5"x1.5") center brace under that back 2x6. If that makes it tough to get the sump in you can always cut a window in the side skin.
 
So jealous of the whole fish room setup. Very nice! Now that I see your configuration I understand your questions in my build thread.
I'd suggest a small (even 1.5"x1.5") center brace under that back 2x6. If that makes it tough to get the sump in you can always cut a window in the side skin.

Thanks for taking a look!

Yeah I am thinking a center brace will be the best solution as well. Going to try and throw one in (temp) and see if I can get my 50g rubbermaid tub in and out. Fingers crossed!
 
My personal preference would be to use the corner placement for the big tank - I love being able to look through the length of the thing, and really have that feeling that it goes on for a ways . . .

Looks like it's going to become a magnificent center to your new home!

~Bruce

Definitely think you should do the corner setup for the main tank, I also think you should do the porthole idea into the 48x24 tank. I don't think you need to worry too much about seeing a messy fish room through it, at 12" max diameter (due to height of tank) the porthole is presumably only really going to be visible from behind the bar and the first seat there.... Your fish room is probably going to be the single most expensive and time consuming Project in the entire basement, best to make sure you can admire it from as many angles and places as possible!

Not sure if I ever formally announced but I did decide to go with the corner design, even though my fiance liked the balanced look it being centered.

This means better views from the bar and more than one view from the living space.

Oh, and I survived making the decision.. that's the most important part!
 
Not sure if I ever formally announced but I did decide to go with the corner design, even though my fiance liked the balanced look it being centered.

I agree with your decision of the corner design...better viewing and availability to see different parts of the tank...keep up the great work and looking forward to seeing this come together.
 

Thanks! Starting to pick up steam.

Started drywall mudding and taping and it is going.. I have a feeling I am going to be sanding a lot haha.
 
Just found this today! This has been awesome to read through. You are definitely giving me a few ideas for when I reboot my tank. Excellent work so far and I can't wait for more updates!
Very cool.

I'll have to take a look at your build thread. What are ypu thinking about changing? Upgrade?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top