Do i need to change my di resin?

This is the way water should flow through it.
20221205_141105~2.jpg
 
This is the way water should flow through it.
20221205_141105~2.jpg
It appears discolored and many come with color change feature. Your TDS and resin color will determine need
 
It appears discolored and many come with color change feature. Your TDS and resin color will determine need
He still has TDS of 8 after the DI resin, and it's changing color top to bottom. Would show there's a bypass of filtered water wouldn't it? Like a leaking cap, seal, or top?
 
He still has TDS of 8 after the DI resin, and it's changing color top to bottom. Would show there's a bypass of filtered water wouldn't it? Like a leaking cap, seal, or top?
What your saying makes complete sense. I checked all of that and nothing seems to be wrong. The lines are right, and everything seems to be in the right orientation
 
What your saying makes complete sense. I checked all of that and nothing seems to be wrong. The lines are right, and everything seems to be in the right orientation
I'm not an expert here like some of these other guys...lol. I've hooked up a few of these and built my own. You definitely have a faulty unit somewhere. The top could be cracked internally. Not sure where you got the unit but could you get it replaced? Or just replace the entire last DI unit? If you lived next door I got a spare housing I would give you....lol
 
I'm not an expert here like some of these other guys...lol. I've hooked up a few of these and built my own. You definitely have a faulty unit somewhere. The top could be cracked internally. Not sure where you got the unit but could you get it replaced? Or just replace the entire last DI unit? If you lived next door I got a spare housing I would give you....lol
I got it from my lfs... I've just contacted the company. You think it's likely a crack somewhere?

My lfs is closed on Mondays...
 
He still has TDS of 8 after the DI resin, and it's changing color top to bottom. Would show there's a bypass of filtered water wouldn't it? Like a leaking cap, seal, or top?
Possibly but can be contributed by water source coming in
 
I got it from my lfs... I've just contacted the company. You think it's likely a crack somewhere?

My lfs is closed on Mondays...
Without seeing it first hand and such I can't say for sure. I can only speculate.

I would think the LFS would make good on it, it definitely seems there is a leak/bypass of filtered water in the top somewhere.
 
Without seeing it first hand and such I can't say for sure. I can only speculate.

I would think the LFS would make good on it, it definitely seems there is a leak/bypass of filtered water in the top somewhere.
Idk about my lfs.. It's been like 7 months with 4 months of actual use. I doubt they'll do anything to help.
 
Possibly but can be contributed by water source coming in
I agree. But it changing at the top and not the bottom to me would be indicative of water not flowing through the bottom of the media at all and the resin just catching dissolve solids as water bypasses at the top.

@BuddyBonButt I would replace the entire housing. If your LFS won't help they are only like $20 on Amazon.
 
I agree. But it changing at the top and not the bottom to me would be indicative of water not flowing through the bottom of the media at all and the resin just catching dissolve solids as water bypasses at the top.

@BuddyBonButt I would replace the entire housing. If your LFS won't help they are only like $20 on Amazon.
Ok. I will. Thank you for your incredible effort to help me. It's helped me understand the unit a bit more.

Before I go, this resin is good then right? Just something wrong with the housing? Or would this need to be changed even under normal circumstances?
 
I agree. But it changing at the top and not the bottom to me would be indicative of water not flowing through the bottom of the media at all and the resin just catching dissolve solids as water bypasses at the top.

@BuddyBonButt I would replace the entire housing. If your LFS won't help they are only like $20 on Amazon.
I believe as was suggested- recourse is to replace entire cartridge
 
Ok. I will. Thank you for your incredible effort to help me. It's helped me understand the unit a bit more.

Before I go, this resin is good then right? Just something wrong with the housing? Or would this need to be changed even under normal circumstances?
Well that's the only other thing I didn't touch on. If for some really odd reason a they mixed resins in layers or if there is just a bad batch they poured in first and topped off with good which would seem really odd.

I would replace the housing, run the filter and measure my TDS, if it remains at 8, I would replace the resin. It is not normal for a mixed bed resin to change top to bottom like that. There is obviously something wrong and process of elimination is the best option if no visual problems exist.
 
Well that's the only other thing I didn't touch on. If for some really odd reason a they mixed resins in layers or if there is just a bad batch they poured in first and topped off with good which would seem really odd.

I would replace the housing, run the filter and measure my TDS, if it remains at 8, I would replace the resin. It is not normal for a mixed bed resin to change top to bottom like that. There is obviously something wrong and process of elimination is the best option if no visual problems exist.
Ok thank you so much for your time.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top