Eating your own livestock? What?

Not me i give them the proper burial down the toliet.
 
My wife constantly tells me she wants to eat my hippo tang and my sailfin.

:hammer:

Dont eat your reef fish. Tangs get HUGE. Why don't you ever see them on the menu at resturants?

Ever hear of Ciguatera?

Great, now I'm worried about eating wild lionfish. LOL How do you know they are safe to eat or not?
 
Lucas - if you wake up the morning after eating them you know they were safe..
 
Lol I was just messing around. My fish died from ich but I flushed them. Figured I would see what people say. I've never eaten a fish from my tank haha
 
...It would almost be like eating a fish that washed up the beach....
That buffoon, Les Stroud, the "survivorman" ate dead fish that washed up on the beach. Just the image that came to my head. Heck, I would not eat a squirrel or rabbit that came from a residential neighborhood even, even though I'm pretty sure it's no more, or less, unhealthy than a squirrel or rabbit that came from the woods. The idea of eating a fish from an aquarium gives me the willies.
 
I wonder if he has any puffers?

Fugu!

Seriously though, the fish we keep in our tanks are often food items on other peoples' dinner plates. That said, eating a fish that died of disease is not a good practice. The table shock of its origin are of lesser concern to me. The matter of the verbage of the foods we feed not being used for fish intended for human consumption is concerning for two reasons. I don't want to eat fish that have eaten that and I want to know what's in it that initiates the need for the warning label.
 
That buffoon, Les Stroud, the "survivorman" ate dead fish that washed up on the beach. Just the image that came to my head. Heck, I would not eat a squirrel or rabbit that came from a residential neighborhood even, even though I'm pretty sure it's no more, or less, unhealthy than a squirrel or rabbit that came from the woods. The idea of eating a fish from an aquarium gives me the willies.

Ay, don't be knocking Les. Bear is fare game though. :hammer:
 
:hammer:



Great, now I'm worried about eating wild lionfish. LOL How do you know they are safe to eat or not?
Only REALLY big and old ones will get it. Its not very common in the keys at all becauae the lionfish haven't really been here too long and I rarely see any big ones in the keys so you should be just fine! Stay away from cudas though!!!
 
The side of some fish food says "do not feed to fish for human consumption". That's enough for me. :)

You can catch or buy fish anywhere around here so I can't imagine ever being hungry enough to eat any fish out of an aquarium.

Exactly!
 
Can you imagine the look on a employees face at a LFS if you were walking around looking at the fish trying to make your decision based off what tastes better, lol. Purple tang or Square Back Anthias.......hmmmm.... what do you think would taste better??? ok, ill take that one!!! LOL
 
I've had Lionfish several times and can say that it's very tasty. They were speared by my brother and I while diving in the keys.

My first experience with any "hobby" fish was while in Jamaica around 2006. A local I was diving with was very excited to make a fresh fish dinner for me, so we drank rum and reminisced about the dive while his wife prepared the fish... which was placed in front of me on a bed of rice, skin and all... it was an Atlantic blue tang (Acanthurus coeruleus), a fish that I had worked with many times before. Of course I had to eat it as a sign of respect, he had willingly paid a weeks salary to feed me one bony fish! Of course, I left him a nice tip prior to heading back to the states and said, "Go get some snapper, on me."

I would never eat one of my own fish out of an aquarium. :squigglemouth:
 
In Taiwan they have Parrotfish and a few Angelfish for sale at the fish market... I'm assuming people eat these from different parts of the world anyways.
 
I was talking to a bloke at work about my tank and he asked for my snowflake eel if it dies so he could cook it up and eat it.
Needless to say I was a bit shocked!
 
In addition to not feeling right about eating my pet, there is too much deliberate chemical exposure in these fish. Can't be good for you. Reminds me of some guys at one of the lfs's that take fish meds (antibiotics) at the first sign of a cold.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top