Isaac's CADE 1500s2/ Peninsula Reef Build

Welcome update from @ChampionLighting this morning regarding the problem part in the UV kit :)

theloneaquarist-championlighting.jpg
 
Have you seen any noticeable difference from the UV? Is it helping with the dinos? it looks like a mix of Dino’s and hair algae?
 
Have you seen any noticeable difference from the UV? Is it helping with the dinos? it looks like a mix of Dino’s and hair algae?
The UV is not online yet. I had to get a replacement part from Lifegard Aquatics since the unit I got delivered had a sleeve collar that had a manufacturing defect.

I just got the replacement a couple days ago.
 
Before installing the UV system I thought I better put a check valve on the return that is going directly into the display.

IMG_7388.jpeg



I’ll let this dry overnight. Then plumb it all tomorrow and get water flowing through it.
 
Stuck some newspaper into the sleeve and cap. I’m going to push this down and close it up while the unit is running for leak testing.


IMG_7401.jpeg


Stuffing the paper in a bit:

IMG_7402.jpeg


Inserting power connection:

IMG_7403.jpeg



I always worry about how tight to tighten these types of things…

IMG_7404.jpeg



Covered the floor with paper towels to check for leaks…

IMG_7399.jpeg


IMG_7400.jpeg



Here it goes….
 
Unexpected hiccup. Seems L2 is hitting too much head pressure…not able to pump water over into display…

IMG_7405.jpeg


Nothing…even at 70% on L2 pump.

IMG_7407.jpeg



But if I pull the pipe down to the sump gravity helps and it’s flowing…

IMG_7408.jpeg


IMG_7409.jpeg



Ugh. My lacking plumbing dynamics knowledge,
 
So doing the full 1 gallon bucket test and using some division:

  1. The top mounted tubing from the uv into the display is doing 28.8 gallons per hour with the Vectra L2 at 58% speed.
  2. With the piping from the UV going down into the return chamber, Vectra L2 at the same speed, I get ~164 gallons per hour flow. Which is closer to what I need for dinos.

I think I’m just going to go into the return chamber for now. Although I’ll be cycling a portion of return water twice, it is only a portion— The rest goes to the display and to the Refugium, plus a carbon reactor.
 
Last edited:
Got a moment to check on the overnight napkin test of the UV Quartz sleeve. Just to make sure there are no leaks into the sleeve.

​

IMG_7420.jpeg



Looking dry. Carefully plugged in the bulb and hooked it up to the APEX and she’s on.

Glowing on top:

IMG_7424.jpeg



Glowing from the bottom:

IMG_7425.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top