Well folks, she’s up and running! And let me tell you it wasn’t without some blood sweat and tears.
Tank took about 18 to 20 hours to fill. I had 10 gallons of water from my reefer 250 that I saved from recent water changes, 40 gallons of already made RO/DI water, and the rest came from ruining the RO/DI straight to the tank. Can’t wait to see my water bill!
The moment of truth was upon me when I got to flip the power switch for the return pump and...nothing! Got an error message stating there was no power running to the controller. Checked my connections and tried again...nothing. Took the pump out, took a part and checked everything out, it’s brand new so as I thought, no issues. Took it downstairs to my fresh water brute containers and tried again...bingo! Went upstairs, reconnected everything and went for the second moment of truth.
It turned over! To my dismay, and being not so surprised, the gate valve wasn’t set for the flow and water came down the drain gushing into the sump. Water everywhere! Attempted to quickly adjust and I couldn’t get the valve to move! From what I’ve been reading, this is a consistent issue with newer builds from Red Sea. Shut down power and cleaned up the mess.
Next part was my pure stupidity. I unscrewed the gate valve pipe from the tank’s manifold and again, water everywhere! Cleaned up that mess and began to play with the valve now that I had it out of the tank. Finally unseized it, reinstalled, turned back on the pump, and away we went. Got the valve adjusted to stop the initial gushes of water. Turned on the skimmer and set the bubble height to a reasonable break in level and readjusted the gate valve.
Finally was able to take a step back and breath. Tank was up and running with no leaks from my custom manifold return.
From there the rest was pretty straight forward. Installed one of the MP40’s and began adding the salt.
I can officially say today is day one of the cycle!
I’m going to let the skimmer break in and then add my bio-spira, a few more rocks from my 250 and start water testing.
Finally, some pictures below.
Sump:
MP40’s are set to anti-sync reef crest at about 75% flow/power.
One more negative through this all is that my 10 gallon trigger systems ATO container is defective. Looks to be a bad seal on the bottom of the acrylic which was leaking.
All in all, I’m happy the worst is over and I can take a step back and breath. Just some small details and wire management to wrap up and she will be on her way!