This hobby is getting even more ridiculous with pricing......

I used to be able to make $400 a month out of selling frags out of my 180, and people were getting amazing deals
 
I can understand both sides of the argument. You can certainly fill a tank with $10-20 frags. Many of my most colorful SPS started as $10 frags from the LFS. But like others have mentioned there is very much a collectibles component to this hobby. I have several bargain SPS, but I've also shelled out for designer pieces. It's just a matter of being patient and waiting for prices to drop.

I'm more than willing to pay an extra penny for a color I believe to be more suitable to home aquaria conditions. But I've also seen instances of how LFS drastically mark up their prices from wholesalers. For example, I've got one LFS that I believe prices things extremely fair and gives me a great idea of the kind of margins some of these other LFS are making. I've purchased rhomboids for $125, and these were super males, not juveniles. I just bought a male c. Brunneus for $49 and one of the new blue throat undescribed fairy wrasses for $49.

These two fish go on average for $200+ at all the other retailers. As far as I know this LFS is not taking losses on everything...
 
parted out my 180...I used to have an RBTA that split almost monthly, and had a fully stocked mixed reef tank. I do miss the tank at times. Lots of maintenance though.
 
I'm actually anxiously awaiting your response on this.

I don't have to do that.
If you would make a statement as the title in this thread and yet feed the shark with corals of your own that are ridiculous priced you have no right to do so then.
It's a fact this thread is setup just to keep hitting a dead horse, period!!
 
I personally enjoy having corals everyone else doesnt have in their tanks imo its what makes our tanks unique [emoji6]
 
This is why you cut the middle man out. We have a local that has the hook up from a couple whole seller. He makes a little money but he isn't trying to get rich!
 
Why does everyone think colonies are super cheap through a wholesaler.... yes some are $30 or less but they look like crap. A disk of good palys consisting of like maybe 20 polyps costs around $300 plus depending on colors same goes for other corals.

I also have wholesale accounts I see them all the time.

10-15 sps colonies about 3-5" $800 total mixed grade A and B but mainly B grade

Corrected my post just looked at the list again
 
Last edited:
I haven't been in the hobby long but one thing I have noticed is more lfs have been turning to maricultured coral so they can sell larger frags for cheaper which has steered me away actually. I'd rather pay more for coral that I know is a bit hardier in the aquarium. The $10 frag deals seem great until you lose 80% of them not realizing they are maricultured and not aquacultured.
 
Nope. Don't see a single source to blame. It's market driven. If nobody was paying it, the price would go down. Don't like a price, a vendor, a product - don't buy it. Hate seeing others buy it for too much - then start selling it cheaper yourself and drive the market down. Don't like it and don't want to do anything but complain - get out....................... or just keep complaining and see how much it helps.
 
I can get more than one frag for $100 every day. And yes costs have gone up because people keep buying it. If people didn't buy it the price wouldn't keep going up.
 
I don't have to do that.
If you would make a statement as the title in this thread and yet feed the shark with corals of your own that are ridiculous priced you have no right to do so then.
It's a fact this thread is setup just to keep hitting a dead horse, period!!
I couldn't agree more.
 
Prices are what people are willing to pay. if everyone stopped buying the expensive corals prices would drop down
Simple. it's a simple retailing rule in afraid...
 
I have lots of old classic coral frags (i.e. trumpets/candycanes, red orange monitis) that folks do not even want to buy for $5 in my local area. Some things have gotten cheaper. A lot of people do not want the ordinary stuff. They want eye-popping corals. I guess it is the law of supply and demand.
 
How many corals are we buying and why? My tank is full of corals but I really hardly buy any because I put them in, they grow and I go out to dinner.
I only have one tank so I probably spend $100.00 a year on corals and much less than that on fish. What are people doing with all those corals? Are you eating them?
This hobby was so much easier in the 70s. In those days I would fly to a tropical place, hire a guide, SCUBA down to find something that looked interesting, put it in a bag on my lap in a plane and take it home. Of course now they would shoot you if you did that. Probably shoot you twice. (I got all my rock like that)
I also never sold anything in this hobby. I always give stuff away that gets to big. I was bringing home $52.00 a week when I got into salt water and I was married and paying rent. You just have to know how to manage money and if you don't have any or don't know how to manage it, this may not be the hobby for you.
I have no controllers, dosers, test kits, oxidaters or any of that expensive stuff. Not that I can't afford it, I just feel it is silly. But If I wanted that stuff and couldn't afford it, I wouldn't buy it.
This is an interesting topic, if not confusing. :D
 
Why does everyone think colonies are super cheap through a wholesaler.... yes some are $30 or less but they look like crap. A disk of good palys consisting of like maybe 20 polyps costs around $300 plus depending on colors same goes for other corals.

I also have wholesale accounts I see them all the time.

10-15 sps colonies about 3-5" $800 total mixed grade A and B but mainly B grade

Corrected my post just looked at the list again

Not a true statement if that was the case retailers wouldn't be able to sell the colonies for $60. A box of acros is a lot cheaper than that. I've seen them as low as $400 per box.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top