Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

The hippie kid is getting a captive bred Mandarin. They eat PELLETS! It's his dream fish. We have always said no until we get a large tank...these little guys don't have the same requirements. I guess we are going to try it.
 
The hippie kid is getting a captive bred Mandarin. They eat PELLETS! It's his dream fish. We have always said no until we get a large tank...these little guys don't have the same requirements. I guess we are going to try it.

29de1bc30d5a5e1227eba9c919763313.jpg
 
The hippie kid is getting a captive bred Mandarin. They eat PELLETS! It's his dream fish. We have always said no until we get a large tank...these little guys don't have the same requirements. I guess we are going to try it.
How many times a day do they need to be fed pellets? And will you be able to maintain water quality while feeding them as often as they need?
 
How many times a day do they need to be fed pellets? And will you be able to maintain water quality while feeding them as often as they need?
Good points! I will be sure to confirm. I never really thought about that. Any tips to ramp his filtration? How many gph can I max in a Biocube?
 
Good points! I will be sure to confirm. I never really thought about that. Any tips to ramp his filtration? How many gph can I max in a Biocube?
I am definitely considering getting a pair of them for myself. I have an auto feeder that drops a pellet/flake mix 3 times a day for my anthias but I doubt the Mandarins would get any. The other fish are too aggressive. It would help get them through QT though and that is important. With my Mandarin dead (guessing old age because he was fat when he died) my amphipod population has exploded. I was looking for peppermint shrimp last night after the lights went out and the top of my pedestal rock was almost completely covered with amphipods. I'd say 10 per inch of surface area. It was freaky looking. Glad the rest of my tank doesn't have them in quite those same numbers!
 
Crap! Now I'm rethinking his Mandarin. I'm glad you brought that to my attention.
It's something to ask about. Pellets may be nutrient dense enough that he can get by with 2 or 3 feedings a day. I have no idea.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top