Mindstream a cheaper/better alternative to Trident? What's the catch

Except that no one can get those - adn My guess is that as Mindstream becaome more maintream - the costs will also come down for it.
I got the 6 month supply with no problem. The weekend it released I could have got a year easy.
 
It’s certainly been out of stock everywhere I’ve checked so far.
It is now on sites but it was slow selling out. Saltwateraquarium.com says they are getting 150 at the end of the month, it’s currently available on Neptune direct site, when you go to the site change it to 6 months and it’s in stock
 
It is now on sites but it was slow selling out. Saltwateraquarium.com says they are getting 150 at the end of the month, it’s currently available on Neptune direct site, when you go to the site change it to 6 months and it’s in stock

Still out of stock when I just looked. My current set will last until late-Oct., so I’ve time still.
 
Last edited:
This makes sense - but - I would suggest - ORP is not reliable/necessary or really 'interpretable' - so its a 'waste' - O2, CO2 - which the Mindstream tests seems different - and more intuitive to me - as a barometer for problems. The Apex Salinity montior (currently being debated on another thread) - is inconsistent - and my hope is that this one will be more stable - better (will take time to know) - so you're getting 10 parameters - in reality (imo) 2 of which are duplicated by the Apex - pH and Temp.

The cost analysis is actually interesting - But - (for me personally) - If I add in the cost of the lost of 2 systems due to 'controller malfunction' - not user error - I have decided to just use my Apex as an expensive surge suppressor that I can shut things off easily when I need to (maintenance) - and the Mindstream for monitoring - that may be a mistake - I hope not.
I have come to the exact same conclussion as you, and have ordered a Mindstream. With the price of corals continuing to increase, I feel the Mindstream is worth it.
 
I do worry about MS going out of business and having a very expensive brick. Time will tell. One thing that makes me feel slightly better is when this was in kickstarter I thought no way. Never ever going to happen. Then it didn't get funded. Not going to happen. They refunded money and that was it. Heard whispers over the next few years but not a great deal.





However over the years they managed to pull it off. Perhaps that shouldn’t inspire my faith, but I am really impressed they have working units out there. I mean look at the cluster fork the vertex has been, when I look at that mess and MS it has given me enough faith to make the jump. Maybe it will come back to bite me, we will see.
I worry the stock market is near
 
I have come to the exact same conclussion as you, and have ordered a Mindstream. With the price of corals continuing to increase, I feel the Mindstream is worth it.
Sorry - I ordered one as well - so im not sure how you came to the oposite conclusion
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top