SAY WHAT?????? HOW MUCH I$ YOUR WHOLE SETUP WORTH?

I've only been doing tis for 18 months, I'm on my second build, I guess my answer would be I'm not finished yet! Every month I think of something else I have to spend money on
 
I agree with the earlier post that if it makes you happy….
The older I get the more of a loose hold I have on money and material possessions. It's just money. You should see how much I spend oo bonsai trees. Not saying I'm idiotic with my money, but if I get enjoyment out of what I'm buying it's worth it to me.

Enjoy life responsibly. You only get one chance on this planet.
This is exactly how I approach the money thing with this hobby. I used to get upset at myself for spending dough on my tank, and to be clear, family and every obligation comes before the tank… just felt I needed to say that. But as far as expendable income, I now realize that what’s the point of working so hard if I can’t spend the earnings on something I want from time to time?!?!?!

Now as for my number, I have rather remarkable records of everything I’ve spent, and it’s over 10k. Thing is, my system is over 14 years old, and while there is a large up front cost, I’ve learned over the years to buy more reliable equipment. So yeah, you take a hit early and at certain intervals, but if you keep with the hobby, I’ve found it affordable in the long run.

Bottom line, I average about $800/yr which is a little over $2 a day.
 
I agree with the earlier post that if it makes you happy….

This is exactly how I approach the money thing with this hobby. I used to get upset at myself for spending dough on my tank, and to be clear, family and every obligation comes before the tank… just felt I needed to say that. But as far as expendable income, I now realize that what’s the point of working so hard if I can’t spend the earnings on something I want from time to time?!?!?!

Now as for my number, I have rather remarkable records of everything I’ve spent, and it’s over 10k. Thing is, my system is over 14 years old, and while there is a large up front cost, I’ve learned over the years to buy more reliable equipment. So yeah, you take a hit early and at certain intervals, but if you keep with the hobby, I’ve found it affordable in the long run.

Bottom line, I average about $800/yr which is a little over $2 a day.
$2 a day????? That’s cheaper than owning a dog or a cat! Thx great response.
 
I don't have an complete total but we have a 220G Mostly SPS reef and a 90G mixed reef. I would say we have $10,000 to $14,000 in hard equipment. (Tanks, sumps, pumps, Skimmers. Lights, etc.) $3,000 to $4,000 in consumable stuff. (Test supply's, chemicals, plumbing fittings, filter media etc.) $10,000 to 15,000 for Rocks, corals, fish, clean up crews, Etc.

So, I'm sure I have left out a lot of stuff like RO/DI units but somewhere between 20 and 30K for just stuff. That doesn't include Travel cost for MACNA, Reef A Palooza, Frag shows and special coral or fish looking/buying trips. Electrical costs to run all this stuff. Water costs to make good clean water. Tank sitter bribes when we go out of town on a coral safari. (son in law does it for RO/DI water for his fresh water tanks) we likely spend 10K per year running around to all the coral and fish events and most of the frag swaps on the east coast.

All of that said, It is money well spent. We are retired and love the hobby. We look forward to each event as a chance to get out and mingle with all the people in the hobby. We get to know a lot of really great people and we enjoy our self as if were 30 again. When were not going to look for that one got to have coral or fish we get to enjoy the most beautiful reef in the world right in our Great room. All of the kids and grandkids love to look at it when they come over and it always acts as a conversation piece whenever anyone come to our house.

If you think reef keeping is expensive take up Sailing or restoring old cars. This is a cheap hobby compared to a lot of other hobbies.
 
The older I get the more of a loose hold I have on money and material possessions. It's just money. You should see how much I spend oo bonsai trees. Not saying I'm idiotic with my money, but if I get enjoyment out of what I'm buying it's worth it to me.

Enjoy life responsibly. You only get one chance on this planet.
Brother too you!!! I say hats off!! And your the absolute ****!!! In a great way. Hahhah as I get older I definitely understand what your saying and thinking!!! It’s not what you spend but the love or excitement or whatever is is!! lol I have over 15k in lighting for a 130 gal. Didn’t blink. And that’s not even starting on live rock or coral and fish hahha. Omg When my 5000gsl comes this month it just comes and price well it it what it is. Love the hobby and all it in tales. You don’t have to spend to have a great tank!! Please understand that. As I try to save all I can. Heck I don’t run a filter or sump. So I’m old school with a new age kick.
 
I don't have an complete total but we have a 220G Mostly SPS reef and a 90G mixed reef. I would say we have $10,000 to $14,000 in hard equipment. (Tanks, sumps, pumps, Skimmers. Lights, etc.) $3,000 to $4,000 in consumable stuff. (Test supply's, chemicals, plumbing fittings, filter media etc.) $10,000 to 15,000 for Rocks, corals, fish, clean up crews, Etc.

So, I'm sure I have left out a lot of stuff like RO/DI units but somewhere between 20 and 30K for just stuff. That doesn't include Travel cost for MACNA, Reef A Palooza, Frag shows and special coral or fish looking/buying trips. Electrical costs to run all this stuff. Water costs to make good clean water. Tank sitter bribes when we go out of town on a coral safari. (son in law does it for RO/DI water for his fresh water tanks) we likely spend 10K per year running around to all the coral and fish events and most of the frag swaps on the east coast.

All of that said, It is money well spent. We are retired and love the hobby. We look forward to each event as a chance to get out and mingle with all the people in the hobby. We get to know a lot of really great people and we enjoy our self as if were 30 again. When were not going to look for that one got to have coral or fish we get to enjoy the most beautiful reef in the world right in our Great room. All of the kids and grandkids love to look at it when they come over and it always acts as a conversation piece whenever anyone come to our house.

If you think reef keeping is expensive take up Sailing or restoring old cars. This is a cheap hobby compared to a lot of other hobbies.
Great perspective!!! Thanks for sharing.
 
I don't have an complete total but we have a 220G Mostly SPS reef and a 90G mixed reef. I would say we have $10,000 to $14,000 in hard equipment. (Tanks, sumps, pumps, Skimmers. Lights, etc.) $3,000 to $4,000 in consumable stuff. (Test supply's, chemicals, plumbing fittings, filter media etc.) $10,000 to 15,000 for Rocks, corals, fish, clean up crews, Etc.

So, I'm sure I have left out a lot of stuff like RO/DI units but somewhere between 20 and 30K for just stuff. That doesn't include Travel cost for MACNA, Reef A Palooza, Frag shows and special coral or fish looking/buying trips. Electrical costs to run all this stuff. Water costs to make good clean water. Tank sitter bribes when we go out of town on a coral safari. (son in law does it for RO/DI water for his fresh water tanks) we likely spend 10K per year running around to all the coral and fish events and most of the frag swaps on the east coast.

All of that said, It is money well spent. We are retired and love the hobby. We look forward to each event as a chance to get out and mingle with all the people in the hobby. We get to know a lot of really great people and we enjoy our self as if were 30 again. When were not going to look for that one got to have coral or fish we get to enjoy the most beautiful reef in the world right in our Great room. All of the kids and grandkids love to look at it when they come over and it always acts as a conversation piece whenever anyone come to our house.

If you think reef keeping is expensive take up Sailing or restoring old cars. This is a cheap hobby compared to a lot of other hobbies.
You know there’s only a small amount of residual enjoyment with “sailing” and “old car restoration” for friends and family. But the awe and beauty that our tanks generously give everyone is unmatched. Great post thanks for sharing!
 
I have a spreadsheet. From the first RS Max 250, the QT tank, 40 g fresh water, the 125g, the RS E170 observation tank (tank given to me) and the new RS xl900. I can tell you equipment, maintenance (food, tests, additives, etc) and even livestock. Maybe not down to the penny if something got forgotten, but pretty accurate from 2016 to present.

New tank set up cost is as much as all the other years/tanks as I went new and better equipment as this is my last tank. 24k for the new set up. I will say that the water station is way over budget as my hubby is doing a first class job with an ardurino box he designed and built and is now writing the software for.

My best tank was my first, the RS 250. Lot of pride and enjoyment. The 125 was a disappointment and very little enjoyment. Constant failures from rock to equipment and failed corals. So this time, I decided to do it right. Red Sea equipment, mp40's, apex, etc. Real Reef and caribsea rock was super expensive but worth it as the marco rock was part of my 125 failures.

If I can achieve my dream tank it is worth it. even if I never get that new embroidery sewing machine (baby lock!)
 
I think I could replace everything for about 3.5-4K. I’ve got a biocube 32 and biocube 16. Corals would be the bulk followed by add ons then fish.
That’s definitely a chunk-o-change!!! Alway appreciate your comments.
 
I don't have an complete total but we have a 220G Mostly SPS reef and a 90G mixed reef. I would say we have $10,000 to $14,000 in hard equipment. (Tanks, sumps, pumps, Skimmers. Lights, etc.) $3,000 to $4,000 in consumable stuff. (Test supply's, chemicals, plumbing fittings, filter media etc.) $10,000 to 15,000 for Rocks, corals, fish, clean up crews, Etc.

So, I'm sure I have left out a lot of stuff like RO/DI units but somewhere between 20 and 30K for just stuff. That doesn't include Travel cost for MACNA, Reef A Palooza, Frag shows and special coral or fish looking/buying trips. Electrical costs to run all this stuff. Water costs to make good clean water. Tank sitter bribes when we go out of town on a coral safari. (son in law does it for RO/DI water for his fresh water tanks) we likely spend 10K per year running around to all the coral and fish events and most of the frag swaps on the east coast.

All of that said, It is money well spent. We are retired and love the hobby. We look forward to each event as a chance to get out and mingle with all the people in the hobby. We get to know a lot of really great people and we enjoy our self as if were 30 again. When were not going to look for that one got to have coral or fish we get to enjoy the most beautiful reef in the world right in our Great room. All of the kids and grandkids love to look at it when they come over and it always acts as a conversation piece whenever anyone come to our house.

If you think reef keeping is expensive take up Sailing or restoring old cars. This is a cheap hobby compared to a lot of other hobbies.
The baby lock embroidery machine I've wanted is 15k and there are tons of costs in that hobby like buying the files. It's all perspective. Of course I still want a new machine <g>
 
s-l300.jpg
 
If someone said I want to buy your whole 650g system and coral I’d say $100k, I Easy have $30-35k in equipment and about $50k in high end coral. I had about $8-$10k for the original grow out system already bought before I decided to increase it and make it my crazy 650g system, so I took the $20k I made from my first fund the build sale selling frags from my vast high end collection on here and used it to buy equipment and still didn’t cover it…
Very cool!!! 650g. How much of that is tank? And what are the dimensions?
 
That’s definitely a chunk-o-change!!! Alway appreciate your comments.
My 16 is used. I only have 3 fish. My 5$ damsel and I told my wife she could have clowns. So she picks out premium frostbite clowns for 120$. But they have blue spots and glow a light blue under the lights so they’re worth it.
 
Even though my sump is a 20 gallon tall with home made baffles... just to replace that and the gear inside it...

2 Jaeger heaters.
Tunze ato
Royal exclusiv red dragon 50 watt
Royal exclusiv cone skimmer

Ugh. 1500 and I have not even got above the plumbing yet.

To some around here that is dirt cheap! Buy right the first time is probably the biggest savings you can do in this hobby. I bet you a nickel most here who have been doing this for 10 or 20 years have boxes and boxes of wrong purchases!
 
Very cool!!! 650g. How much of that is tank? And what are the dimensions?
Main display is a custom AGE 210g 72x30x22, then I have a custom CDA 80g frag tank and 2 deep blue 60g frag tanks so tankage comes out to 410g and I have a custom made 6ft bashsea sump and additional custom 6ft sump so figuring 100-125g for each sump. The 210 is in my tv room and plumbed down to my finished basement where the rest of the system is but it’s about 30 feet of head pressure and not a straight shot so plumbing has been very difficult and had many issues along the way which is why it’s taken so long to finish this build. So plan is to use both sumps and hopefully if it backflows that will be enough space to hold the water volume. I have a Abyzz A400 to run the main returns to the 210.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top