SAY WHAT?????? HOW MUCH I$ YOUR WHOLE SETUP WORTH?

When my wife gets going she says I have 10k in the fish room… let’s just stick with that number
mr burns success GIF
 
The older I get the more of a loose hold I have on money and material possessions. It's just money. You should see how much I spend oo bonsai trees. Not saying I'm idiotic with my money, but if I get enjoyment out of what I'm buying it's worth it to me.

Enjoy life responsibly. You only get one chance on this planet.
Bonsai is my “main” hobby…which I thought was expensive when I wandered into this rabbit hole! Corals selling for the price of a Tofukuji pot is crazy to me. At least I won’t kill a pot!
 
Used Tank- 109 Bow Acrylic $400 with stand, needed to cut and weld new metal I did myself for $100 so say $500.

Sump new Bashsea $400
Plumbing $70

Pump- used $40
Ti Heater $70
Aquamaxx RC2 $300
GKM- Free
Ozone machine with ORP probe- open box $200
Popbloom 90 X2 $330
Rock- on sale 1/2 price $160
Sand- on sale 1/2 price $40
Gyre wave maker $90
Ro-di on sale $50

Equipment Total $2250

Livestock including frags $700

Grand total $2950
 
Define "worth"

In realistic terms your tanks equipment is only worth about 10-20% of what you paid at a retail price. fish and coral about 75-100% of what you paid.

I love Craigslist sellers trying to impress me saying they spent $5k on their setup but then realize it's worth about $500 as USED EQUIPMENT
 
If someone said I want to buy your whole 650g system and coral I’d say $100k, I Easy have $30-35k in equipment and about $50k in high end coral. I had about $8-$10k for the original grow out system already bought before I decided to increase it and make it my crazy 650g system, so I took the $20k I made from my first fund the build sale selling frags from my vast high end collection on here and used it to buy equipment and still didn’t cover it…
 
Well let's see, I saved money on my tank because I bought it 33 yrs ago, I had an old skimmer and a sump soooo I saved alot. But then I bought new equipment and well we have corals adjusted for inflation and what the market will bare OMG I'm BROKE.

Even with all the stuff I had from many years ago and I only have 5 fish in my tank and about 30 frags, I'm at about 3K in under 12 months for everything and I'm just beginning.
Imagine if I had to buy a tank, sump and skimmer as well
ZomboMeme 30102021191542.jpg
 
So I think I could replace everything for about $ 9000.00

WOW!!! That crazy, I’ve never done that before.
WHAT SAY YOU? ;Greedy
71818E11-F5C6-429C-A39E-CE6614915A40.jpeg
HM. - lets say a colony costs 500 - a very non- special one - and a tank - 5000 - lighting - 1500 etc -The time value is whats worth the most money - the fish the coral feeding, growing IMHO.

BTW - it depends on the size of the tank. I would say - more - if it all of the sudden broke today
 
$280 on equipment and $75 on livestock. What's crazy is you could add a zero to those numbers and that's what a lot of the suckers around here would spend on an SPS nano...

Spend your money however you like.

awkward seinfeld GIF
 
The cost of your tank is whatever you told your wife it cost!! Stick with that number!
 
Define "worth"

In realistic terms your tanks equipment is only worth about 10-20% of what you paid at a retail price. fish and coral about 75-100% of what you paid.

I love Craigslist sellers trying to impress me saying they spent $5k on their setup but then realize it's worth about $500 as USED EQUIPMENT
So I’ll define worth. :) What is your tank’s “worth” if you had to replace everything you presently have. At today’s prices.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top